+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Connect to the server from outside the network the server is connected to. in Technical; Hi All, I'm new to this and are currently having some issues on sorting this out. I would like to ...

Thank Post

Exclamation Connect to the server from outside the network the server is connected to.

Hi All,

I'm new to this and are currently having some issues on sorting this out. I would like to be able to connect to the server from different networks without the user using the client computer needing to do anything. I would like it to be able to connect to the server network, be able to access shared folders and printers, be able to connect automatically, without changing from the server's dns and static ip and be able to connect to the server with internet connection.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could help as I've never done this before and if possible can you reply with a step-by-step answer

Thanks,
    rbd12345

Also if anyone knows how to deploy the latest Office 2013, Libreoffice, iTunes or Proclaim Worship Presentation please email me at rbd@withymoorvillage.co.uk.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Sounds like a job for VPN.
    Where is the client connecting from (home or other office etc)?

Thank Post
    If you're not to keen on setting up a VPN use Teamviewer or LogMeIn both are free although I think LogMeIn has a limit on the amount of devices!

Thank Post
    The client is connecting from home and I don't want to use TeamViewer or LogMeIn as these people will be very rarely using the computers on the server network. There is 14 people that need to connect regularly offsite. I would like to use VPN but I need someone to give me a step by step guide of how to deploy the connection and allow it to connect automatically without the user having to do the thing. I've tried it before but I have an issue where the static ip address won't work, neither will the dns server, I can't access internet connection or anything on the network (using an admin account) and I also had an issue connecting to the VPN automatically during startup before anyone logs in so the system can connect to login services.

Thanks
    rbd12345

Thank Post
    Is this from within the same building/organisation?

Are the servers on the same IP ranges?

Is it different domains?

You might need to to get routing done between different IP ranges/subnets

You might need to implement domain trusts between domains to allow permissions to be implemented across your domains.

Thank Post
    All clients at one point will leave the building as all but one are laptops. They need to connect to the same buildings server and there are not different domains. Can I please remind people I haven't done this before so answering questions maybe hard and it maybe hard for me to understand what you are asking me.

Thanks
    rbd12345

Thank Post
    I don't think you'll find the magic solution on here, if you struggle to answer the questions you'll really struggle to implement a quite complex solution. Have you considered contracting out ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rbd12345 View Post
    All clients at one point will leave the building as all but one are laptops. They need to connect to the same buildings server and there are not different domains. Can I please remind people I haven't done this before so answering questions maybe hard and it maybe hard for me to understand what you are asking me.

Thanks
    rbd12345
    As much as I'm sure people would love to help you, sometimes an answer can't be simplified further.

When I don't know something or am unsure of something, I read up on it and try for myself - I don't expect step by step instructions from anyone You've been given some hints... maybe it's time to have a google.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 23rd July 2014 at 03:26 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm not interested in contracting out

Thank Post
    I'm afraid what your asking for is complex and would require integration to your network, step by step instructions would be very difficult to produce. It will take a lot of time and knowledge sk I'm afraid contracting out might be your only option.

As for your difficulies deploying software I suggest you look at itninja.com

Thank Post
    VPN is the answer here. And the end user will need to do a little work to connect - usually hit the connect button, and then enter their username password.

Then they can access the resource such as the server, printers, etc

Thank Post
    What firewall do you have? If its something like a SonicWall then most of the work is done there and users have to install some software, type a username and password and job done.

Thank Post
    its on my to do list but this sounds like a description of direct access

Thank Post
    What is the client OS that they are using? If its Windows 7 or Windows 8 and the PCs are domain joined then as others have said Direct Access is the way here - its dead easy to setup (using Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 and only requires a valid SSL certificate and for you to port forward 443 through your firewall).

If they are non domain joined then a VPN or using WebDAV is the way forwards

Thank Post
    As others have said, DirectAcces in 2012 is really easy to set up, have a look on TechNet as it does give you step by step instructions - Step-By-Step: Enabling DirectAccess in Windows Server 2012 R2 - Canadian IT Professionals - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast