+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2012 Thread, How to manage Windows updates in a better way? in Technical; I think this issue isn't really a technical one to be honest - you have your options for deploying updates, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this issue isn't really a technical one to be honest - you have your options for deploying updates, the problem is an organisational one - the process of deploying updates interferes with the day to day running of the school.

So, I think what you should be looking at is a change of working practices instead. Look at weekend or out of hours work for example, or if that isn't possible, work with the timetable to apply updates during IT lab downtime.

We had the same issue here, and the only solution we were able to end up applying was to deploy the updates every half term break. Ok, this means potentially waiting a short period after some updates are released to deploy them, but it is the only practical way for us to do it at present.

Thank Post
    We use SCCM here with maintenance windows. It means that all desktop/server machines wake up (using WOL), do their thing with updates etc, then shutdown at random times during 2am and 5am. With our staff/student laptops I simply set the same maintenance windows but if they're missed updates will still install and then keep prompting the users to reboot every few hours, up to a maximum of one week.

If they have to wait 10 minutes for updates to finish installing (which is rare now, since people can choose to install them or not) then tough poop!

Thank Post
    @Blue_Cookeh how do you set the reboot on servers? I've got most of SCCM setup how I want it but reboots after updates is still a bit shonky on servers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    @Blue_Cookeh how do you set the reboot on servers? I've got most of SCCM setup how I want it but reboots after updates is still a bit shonky on servers.
    With our servers I do the reboots manually. I usually log in to all of them at least once a month and I'll get the usual SCCM updates popup asking me to reboot so I usually do it then since most of them have redundancy. If it's a sole server, I'll just schedule a reboot manually using the shutdown /s /t time-in-seconds command for that evening.

I trust SCCM to reboot our workstations, which aren't necessarily critical... I wouldn't trust it to do our servers, all it would take is for it to bring down both DCs at the same time or something and a lot of services would suddenly break.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12