+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Should I virtualize? in Technical; If this is going to be your only server I would advise against this. You should have one DC on ...

Thank Post
    If this is going to be your only server I would advise against this. You should have one DC on a physical host and virtualising adds an extra layer that can go wrong. I can understand going virtual if you have backup servers and SANS that can kick in automatically but you do not.

2. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

Jawloms (2nd July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thank you all very much for all your responses on this. I don't think I'll bother virtualising at this point as it will simply be a DC and have some file shares and I don't want to do it just for the sake of it. If it's anything like their current server, it will get set up, then left alone for six years, and then be replaced.

Thank Post
    Please dont use Hyper-V. It is too risky having a full windows operating system between the VMS and the hardware. Vmware ESX is the most stable. We have had it for over 5 years now and it is completely bullet proof.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhart96 View Post
    Please dont use Hyper-V. It is too risky having a full windows operating system between the VMS and the hardware. Vmware ESX is the most stable. We have had it for over 5 years now and it is completely bullet proof.
    Nonsense. Hyper-V is now a tried and tested, reliable, hypervisor. It is available in full OS form, or as a trimmed down hypervisor too.

I've been using Hyper-V for, what, 3 years and it also is bullet proof.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your opinion but I have had Hyper-V machines running since 2009 and they have been perfectly decent, both solutions have merit and are used on many places. For bigger implementations Hyper-V actually offers more features for free than ESXi stopping you from delving into the expensive end of the pool but lets not drag this thread off topic any further with a played out debate about virtualisation solutions.

Thank Post
    Appreciated that in server core hyper v is pretty stable, but I mean that when you are using Hyper v as a server roll in full windows server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Appreciated that in server core hyper v is pretty stable, but I mean that when you are using Hyper v as a server roll in full windows server.
    Many people do this, like I do, and it is perfectly stable and reliable. You just don't install anything else on it (ie. No running it as an application server or the like too), but then the same rules apply to ESX - it is just a Linux OS, and as such you can install other stuff on it too but shouldn't.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    If this is going to be your only server I would advise against this. You should have one DC on a physical host and virtualising adds an extra layer that can go wrong. I can understand going virtual if you have backup servers and SANS that can kick in automatically but you do not.
    You are forgetting perhaps the nice features that VMs offer even if you don't have redundant systems, like spinning up the system on a high speced workstation in half an hour or so from backup or migrating between an old and new server live with no down time. Virtualisations does add another layer but it is not an especially problematic layer and the general advice against virtualising DCs is based on people snapshotting them and causing problems that way or joining the host servers to the AD domain.

I like the fact I can save my backup NAS from the other end of the school and happily spin up the network on a couple of the library Multipoint servers if a car crashed through the server room or something.

At any rate I am glad that the OP has it all going now on the new box and can move on to other holiday jobs.

Thank Post
    This, as the debate suggests is a difficult one. We are in a similar situation with our federated primary.

We have a single HP ML server, when it was set up Hyper V made us a bit nervous so we set it up as a standalone server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Many people do this, like I do, and it is perfectly stable and reliable. You just don't install anything else on it (ie. No running it as an application server or the like too), but then the same rules apply to ESX - it is just a Linux OS, and as such you can install other stuff on it too but shouldn't.
    Yep I have it installed as a server role (with nothing else installed) and has run happily for the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You are forgetting perhaps the nice features that VMs offer even if you don't have redundant systems, like spinning up the system on a high speced workstation in half an hour or so from backup or migrating between an old and new server live with no down time. Virtualisations does add another layer but it is not an especially problematic layer and the general advice against virtualising DCs is based on people snapshotting them and causing problems that way or joining the host servers to the AD domain.

I like the fact I can save my backup NAS from the other end of the school and happily spin up the network on a couple of the library Multipoint servers if a car crashed through the server room or something.
    We have just the one server and Veeam makes a complete replica of the two VMs it runs on a high spec workstation so the network can be restored in a few mins. Its awesome.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12