+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2012 Thread, New fileserver - how to do storage? in Technical; Originally Posted by themightymrp Getting a new server to act as a fileserver. What happens to the old file server ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Getting a new server to act as a fileserver.
    What happens to the old file server once you've moved all the files accross to the new one? Is it available to be reformatted as a Storage Spaces server? If so, it should make for a nice easy method of expanding your storage - just add more servers to the pool as needed, distributed accross different physical locations in case of diaster. I don't know if you can specify failure zones as with Ceph, where you can group your disks / servers / racks so that data is distributed the best possible way to ensure continuation in case of diasaster.

Thank Post
    @dhicks - as much as I like that idea, our current storage is spread over 3 servers (OLD!). One holds students drives, one staff and the other general data shares. Two of these servers are so passed it that they are likely to be scrapped. The other isn't too bad (but has only 1.2Tb storage). I may use that as a test-bed machine for playing around with Storage Spaces/Pools
    @detjo - I would go with the same setup in your situation with those drives. But I need way more storage (3.8Tb to hold the existing!!) and with this many drives, RAID 5 appears to be a big No No.

Incidentally, the server is a HP DL380e Gen 8

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, from what I've just been reading, Storage Spaces set up in Windows don't like sitting on top of a Hardware RAID system (you get warning messages). So I would need to create storage using bare individual disks.

However, it would appear that the parity option (Raid 5) of Storage Spaces are very slow on write speed when compared to other options.

This is getting tough! Does anybody use Storage Spaces on their servers who can give me some real world performance examples?
    That's correct, you don't want to run software RAID solutions such as ZFS on top of hardware RAID. It can cause conflicts and provides zero benefit. Whether using hardware RAID or ZFS, your best performance and reliability option is RAID 10 (Mirror in ZFS). However, with the amount of storage you apparently need RAID 10 would be costly. So, second best option would be RAIDZ3 (triple parity ZFS RAID). Third best is RAIDZ2 or the hardware RAID equivalent RAID6.

I have not personally played around with Storage Spaces so I can't really comment on it's suitability for your requirements one way or the other. It is a fairly new storage technology though, so my instincts and experience tell me that it would be wise to hold off on trusting it for mission critical data until it matures and there is more real world data to base a decision on. SS may prove to be a very cost-effective and reliable storage solution, but there's just not enough history to make that call yet - for me anyway. It should be more than suitable for non-mission critical data though.

4. Thanks to seawolf from:

themightymrp (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Pretty much my thoughts too on the SS front. I think I will play around on it on the freed up server. Do some speed tests etc.

Thank Post
    For a very interesting read about performance comparisons of hardware RAID and Storage Spaces, I found this very good:

Windows Storage Spaces and ReFS: Is it time to ditch RAID for good?

And also a detailed whitepaper comparison:

http://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/...ance-ww-en.pdf
    Last edited by themightymrp; 6th June 2014 at 09:12 AM.

Thank Post
    For a very interesting read about performance comparisons of hardware RAID and Storage Spaces, I found this very good:

Windows Storage Spaces and ReFS: Is it time to ditch RAID for good?
    Certainly an intersting read for me and confirms what I suspected. Storage spaces is currently too slow to be used in production (for me) as I'd want to use Parity Space mode to leverage storage capacity and the perfromance is dire in that mode.

There is only one reason why Storage spaces won out against Raid1 in his testing and that is because he was using an LSI1068 raid card wich has laughably abysmal write speeds in Raid1. I know, as I've got serveral here that I don't use as theyre so poor (they don't even make good doorstops ffs!)

If he ran his benchmarks again on modern hardware with a modern raid card with write cache - he'd find storage spaces getting spanked against Raid1 too

Thank Post
    HAHAH!!! supplier!!

Server has arrived, but didn't know that hard drive caddies come separate and they are near £70 EACH! So currently can't plug any drives in lol
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 6th June 2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: language

Thank Post
    HAHAH!!! supplier!!

Server has arrived, but didn't know that hard drive caddies come separate and they are near £70 EACH! So currently can't plug any drives in lol
    thats appalling!
    i know Dell charge silly money for additional caddies (and "branded" hdds) but not to be told is rather off
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 6th June 2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: themightmrp's language

Thank Post
    Yep, not good. PS - apologies about the use of language there, didn't think (and I had been following that big thread about it on here too!!) :shame:

Thank Post
    Server has arrived, but didn't know that hard drive caddies come separate and they are near £70 EACH!
    I had the same problem last summer with our Dell servers - the servers came with caddy "fillers" that looked pretty much the same as caddies, but you couldn't actually fit harddrives in them, and I only realised when I pulled them out to fit harddrives. It turns out you can get very reasonably priced caddies from eBay / Amazon, there's a couple of UK-based companies that speacilise in them and do next-day delivery. Also, don't forget the screws, which might also be separate - you want the small, flat-head ones that don't poke out from the side as you slide the caddy in to the slot.

Thank Post
    Yep that's we've got - just fillers. The cheapest I've found so far are on ebay for about £45. We should be ok for screws regardless, got a bag here crammed with screws of all types which has built up over the years (lots of PC's and laptops may one day fall apart due to "missing" screws but hey )

Thank Post
    Well, got my drive caddies and currently setting up the server Found them for £28 ex VAT after a lot of searching - and with next day delivery for £8

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12