+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Migrated from 2003 to 2012R2 - Not always running logon script in Technical; Hi, I've migrated our main AD Server from 2003 to 2012R2 over the half term holidays and everything appears to ...

Thank Post

Migrated from 2003 to 2012R2 - Not always running logon script

Hi,

I've migrated our main AD Server from 2003 to 2012R2 over the half term holidays and everything appears to be working just fine other then a intermittent issue with network scripts. I am aware of the network script delay that's been introduced with Server 201R2 / Windows 8.1 but as far as I'm aware that's only an issue if you apply the network drives/mapping/script via Group Policy, and I don't believe it to be the cause of my issue.

Our logon scripts are being applied to the users from Active Directory Users and Computers settings/profile tab - the users sometimes get all the drives mapped correctly, and sometimes only get their home drive mapped with everything else missing. Sometimes a reboot will bring the missing drives back, sometimes it doesn't. This happens across a range of computers in school and has only started happening since the switch to Server 2012R2.

The clients are currently Windows XP, which are soon to be updated, hence the reason for migrating the server first to 2012R2

Has anybody come across this and can point me in the right direction for things to try? All the logon scripts are Bat files, and have migrated over to the new server with no problems during the migration process.

Many Thanks

Matt

Thank Post
    No, used both the conventional and gpo method and both work.
    It reads like the clients are more the issue... Can you not upgrade one client to W7 and test?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    If you have KB943729 installed on your XP clients, you can then map network drives using GPP rather than scripts.

Is your existing batch file located in NETLOGON or is it hosted in another share?

If it is in NETLOGON, are you specifying a single server to map the drives, or the domain?

For example:

\\CURRICSVR\NETLOGON\file.bat

\\DOMAINNAME.LOCAL\NETLOGON\file.bat

Thank Post
    I guess if you test with a batch file method, you could look to slow the script down by adding something like this; ping localhost -n 10

Thank Post
    Thanks Guys for the suggestions - the logon script is located within the NETLOGON folder, within ADUC I don't have a path to the actual logon script, I just have the actual script name e.g. staff or student.

I've also just found a suggestion on one of the Microsoft Forums about setting up 'Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon' option in GPO

logon script doesn't always run durring logon process

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Following the changes I made last night by setting up the 'Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon' I've been informed that we are STILL having the issue with the script not always running and mapping the correct network drives.

??

Thanks

Matt

Thank Post
    Quick update.... I think I've solved it - I forgot I had some software restriction policy's in place to stop BAT files and VBS files from running, but had put an exception in for the path to the old net logon server - the old server is still up and running for the time being which is possibly why sometimes it would map the drives if it picked up the script from that server.

I'll see what happens now, but I'm confident that's the fix!

Thanks

Matt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpant View Post
    Quick update.... I think I've solved it - I forgot I had some software restriction policy's in place to stop BAT files and VBS files from running, but had put an exception in for the path to the old net logon server - the old server is still up and running for the time being which is possibly why sometimes it would map the drives if it picked up the script from that server.

I'll see what happens now, but I'm confident that's the fix!

Thanks

Matt
    That ole' gotcha
    Caught me out before too....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread