+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Beginning of a new era - New network from scratch, help with Initial GPO setup in Technical; Hello everyone, After using RM CC3 with Windows 2003 and XP for the last 14 years, we are now about ...
    Thank Post

Lightbulb Beginning of a new era - New network from scratch, help with Initial GPO setup

Hello everyone,

After using RM CC3 with Windows 2003 and XP for the last 14 years, we are now about the start building a brand new network! Applause!!!!

We are awaiting licences for Windows Server 2012 R2, and will be building the virtual server/s very soon. We cannot start the big change over until the summer (which gives us 5 weeks to install the network, change over PC's to Win7 about 210, 80 of these will be brand new) but some things we can get started with.

One thing we want to get done now are the Group Policies, we obviously have our current ones for 2003 and XP (Not sure if I could export these to 2012) which may not include some policy settings but does anyone know where you can get pre-configured GPO's for schools/education from Microsoft or similar for Windows 7? We have decided not to go for Windows 8 just yet!

I have started to create my own, but I am unsure for some settings and would like to at least compare my own to someone else's as I go along as this is the first time I have ever done anything like this.

Ideally if Microsoft provide one that is pre-configured for schools that does the basics to stop the students changing settings etc that you can tweak to your own need that would be awesome.

Any help would be greatly received.

Thank Post
    If you message me your email address I will send you a copy of our main computer and user one.

3. Thanks to Simcfc73 from:

daneil16 (14th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daneil16 View Post
    Hello everyone,

After using RM CC3 with Windows 2003 and XP for the last 14 years, we are now about the start building a brand new network! Applause!!!!

We are awaiting licences for Windows Server 2012 R2, and will be building the virtual server/s very soon. We cannot start the big change over until the summer (which gives us 5 weeks to install the network, change over PC's to Win7 about 210, 80 of these will be brand new) but some things we can get started with.

One thing we want to get done now are the Group Policies, we obviously have our current ones for 2003 and XP (Not sure if I could export these to 2012) which may not include some policy settings but does anyone know where you can get pre-configured GPO's for schools/education from Microsoft or similar for Windows 7? We have decided not to go for Windows 8 just yet!

I have started to create my own, but I am unsure for some settings and would like to at least compare my own to someone else's as I go along as this is the first time I have ever done anything like this.

Ideally if Microsoft provide one that is pre-configured for schools that does the basics to stop the students changing settings etc that you can tweak to your own need that would be awesome.

Any help would be greatly received.
    Hi there,

I am in exactly the same boat as you, ex RM now configuring 2012R2 domain with windows 7 clients. I am doing pretty much what you are in that I'm creating test users and locking things down and deploying other things via GPO's. It would be good to compare them to someone else's. Let me know if you want to compare notes etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    If you message me your email address I will send you a copy of our main computer and user one.
    Could you do the same for me please if I PM you?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Can I also have a copy....please.

Would be interesting to see another setup.

Thanks

Thank Post
    I would be interested to see another setup. Either a PM or probably best to post it on the forums

Thank Post
    This is a me too post - I too am building a new 2012 R2 domain, moving away from CC4. I'm using SCCM for deployment of OS and applications, and am well ahead with that, but my major concerns are user setup (do I use mandatory profiles, roaming profiles, or no profiles at all!) and GPO settings to lock down just enough to leave the system usable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    This is a me too post - I too am building a new 2012 R2 domain, moving away from CC4. I'm using SCCM for deployment of OS and applications, and am well ahead with that, but my major concerns are user setup (do I use mandatory profiles, roaming profiles, or no profiles at all!) and GPO settings to lock down just enough to leave the system usable.
    Should be using Folder Redirection and Security Groups! Am rebuilding my network over the summer, But with 2008RC2 Enterprise, Can post bits and pieces if needs be? have a far amount on WDS and Unattended installs.

Thank Post
    This is what i currently have;

Default Domain Policy - only touched the password config
    Default Domain Controller Policy - Not touched it

Default Logon Policy - contains Welcome Message for logon, and Firewall and Service configs
    Workstation Restriciton - Locks down the workstation for end users
    Internet Explorer Policy - Normal IE Lock down
    Smoothwall Authentication - Authticated Port 3128
    Teacher Folder Redirection - Need i explain? =)
    Student Folder Redirection - Need i explain? =)
    Managament Folder Redirection - Need i explain? =)
    WSUS Workstation - Allows updates for Endpoints
    WSUS Server - Allows updates for Servers
    Software Deployment - used for MSI installations, and has various opitons turned on, So end users know whats being install... Verbose mode thingie!

Hope this helps =)
    Last edited by Si2100; 20th May 2014 at 06:50 PM.

11. Thanks to Si2100 from:

jertsy (20th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Si2100 View Post
    This is what i currently have;

Default Domain Policy - only touched the password config
    Default Domain Controller Policy - Not touched it

Default Logon Policy - contains Welcome Message for logon, and Firewall and Service configs
    Workstation Restriciton - Locks down the workstation for end users
    Internet Explorer Policy - Normal IE Lock down
    Smoothwall Authentication - Authticated Port 3128
    Teacher Folder Redirection - Need i explain? =)
    Student Folder Redirection - Need i explain? =)
    Managament Folder Redirection - Need i explain? =)
    WSUS Workstation - Allows updates for Endpoints
    WSUS Server - Allows updates for Servers
    Software Deployment - used for MSI installations, and has various opitons turned on, So end users know whats being install... Verbose mode thingie!

Hope this helps =)
    Thanks a lot for that!

Thank Post
    Should be using Folder Redirection and Security Groups! Am rebuilding my network over the summer, But with 2008RC2 Enterprise, Can post bits and pieces if needs be? have a far amount on WDS and Unattended installs.
    I'm tackling WDS\MDT next. If I need any info can I PM you please?

14. Thanks to jertsy from:

Si2100 (20th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jertsy View Post
    I'm tackling WDS\MDT next. If I need any info can I PM you please?
    Yeah sure, tbh am more active on the Spiceworks than here, So can copy and past material over :-)

Thank Post
    Should be using Folder Redirection and Security Groups!
    Oh I'm doing that. But what to do with profiles is still a valid question. I'm redirecting what I can for students (staff take laptops home, so their profiles will be roaming).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    Oh I'm doing that. But what to do with profiles is still a valid question. I'm redirecting what I can for students (staff take laptops home, so their profiles will be roaming).
    Yeah, completely right! My staff laptops are currently standalone. Which is a tad of a pane, But means data is kept safe I guess

Thank Post
    If your going for 2012 and are feeling brave/adventurous you may wish to take a look at Remote Access(DirectAccess) for your staff laptops/mobile devices. Haven't used it myself but is something we are going to be looking at over the next 12 months.

Oh and congratulations on the new network, something a lot of us can only dream of! Atleast that's what it feels like these days.
    Last edited by JRowley; 17th June 2014 at 01:38 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast