+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Tape Backups on Server 2012 in Technical; Hi All, We are running Windows Server 2012 and have been using task scheduler to remotely backup data to another ...

Thank Post

Tape Backups on Server 2012

Hi All,

We are running Windows Server 2012 and have been using task scheduler to remotely backup data to another one of our servers every night which is then backed up to tape.

Server 2012 ---> Remote data backup over network to alternative server ---> server backed up daily to tape.

The above method is ok - but we currently only have 2/3 successful backups per week using this method, with other issues seemingly causing the remote backups to fail. We have been big users of backup exec for our previous servers and after doing some 'fishing' around there seems to be nothing but bad reviews and incompetency stories regarding Symantec and Server 2012.

I was hoping that you may be able to point me in the right direction for backup software that is compatible with Windows Server 2012 and is capable of backing up to tape drives.

I am aware that tapes are considered old technology in terms of backup solutions, but as I am sure you appreciate in a school environment they are relatively cheap and very convenient and unfortunately we are not in a position to pay more for a dedicated solution. I am also very skeptical about the cloud backup options and I think trying to convince senior colleagues to store sensitive information on the cloud would be a nightmare.

I am looking forward to your feedback,

Thank you.

BFCIT

Thank Post
    if it is virtualised I can not praise Veeam enough. I don't use tape backups anymore however I am fairly sure they added this function a little while ago.

Thank Post
    I'd be looking at your network connectivity to make sure that this isn't the cause of the failed backups.

I recently discovered that our network team of two trunked GB ports was not solid, so failed back to a single gigabit connection - since then it's been great!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread