+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Student Account Creation - Home Folders on Server 2012 R2 in Technical; We recently purchased a new server with 2012 R2 installed and migrated all the student home folders to the new ...

Thank Post

Student Account Creation - Home Folders on Server 2012 R2

We recently purchased a new server with 2012 R2 installed and migrated all the student home folders to the new server including replicating the student shares. Since then we have noticed that when we now create a new student account in active directory that when the user logins his home folder is not automatically being created as it previously was. If we manually create the folder all seems well and students have normal access to their My Documents but this use to be an automatic process. I have checked the Group Policy for the user and all seems correct pointing to the new share (\\srv-005\student2010documents$\%USERNAME%\My Documents) where as it was previously looking at srv-003. The problem is the same for all year groups. My dilema is that shortly we will need to create another 200 plus student accounts for the next year group and ideally I dont want to have to manually create their folders. To investigate this issue I previously had a test student policy which points to a 2008 R2 server and when new students are created under this OU there Home folders are created as you would expect. Could this be an issue with Server 2012 ? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Are you just using the Active Directory Users and Computer to set the Profile > Home Folder > Connect [Drive] to [UNC] to create the home folder? If this is the case this should be created automatically by the tool rather than the user logging in (and I've just tested this on Server 2012R2 and it seems to work fine).

Does student2010documents$ exist correctly on srv-005? Are the share level permissions and everything set OK?

Peter

Thank Post
    Thanks Peter for the reply.

We use Group Policy to configure and set student folder redirection for Desktop/Start Menu and Home Folders. Active Directory Users and Computers does have an entry for Connected Drive U: which points to the same location e.g \\srv-005\student2010documents$\jsmith10\My Documents . Once the folder is manually created all works as advertised but does not create the folder automatically.

From any other location I can navigate to the share \\srv-005\student2010documents$ and see and access all documents. Permissions look correct and are similar to those on the test student 2008 R2 box. Sounds like I'm missing something somewhere if it works on your 2012 R2 system.

Thank Post
    Just a thought but hopefully someone might be able to advise but could this issue be in relation to our DC still being a 2003 server and although its schema has been extended to incorporate 2008 R2 which is where the test accounts are created successfully, could this issue of folders not being created be due to the DC not having the schema extended for 2012 R2. I might be going off on a tangent on this one but am still bemused why it dosent create the folders automatically on the server 2012 R2 box.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread