+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, HyperV Gen2 VMs - PXE Booting from WDS in Technical; Bit of an odd one this, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. When I'm building my ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

HyperV Gen2 VMs - PXE Booting from WDS

Bit of an odd one this, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

When I'm building my PCs, I do so with SCCM. My PXE enabled DP is sitting on a Windows Server 2012 box so I can build SecureBoot UEFI machines from it. With physical UEFI PCs, this works as happy as can be as it does with physical BIOS PCs and Generation 1 Hyper-V VMs with legacy NICs. However, when I try to make a generation 2 VM and PXE boot with that, I get a PXE-E16 error, no offers were received.

I've googled around and I've found sites that say changing your WDS server to standalone mode fixes this. However since it's an SCCM DP I don't want to do this.

This isn't anything urgent or especially important but I would like to fix it!

Thank Post
    Hi Norphy,

In case your issue isn't solved yet:
    1. check that you have installed the hotfix: http:///support.microsoft.com/kb/2905002
    2. restart your WDS service if you have the hotfix installed, sometimes it hangs without giving a error.

If you have your SCCM DP in the same subnet all should be fine after this. If your DP is in a different subnet, make sure you have all the IP-Helpers in place.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you building a base image in the VM and capturing the WIM to be distributed to physical UEFI clients later? If so, AFAIK, you can just use a legacy NIC and BIOS mode in the VM. The resulting WIM *should* install fine on a physical UEFI machine. I did this earlier today with no issues. All the formatting and driver issues should be taken care of in the SCCM Task Sequence, the image should be pretty generic. The capture process strips all drivers out as part of Sysprep anyway.

Thank Post
    The install should go without any problems on a physical UEFI machine. Tho if you install the hotfix and check your WDS service, you can go ahead and build gen2 VM's in Hyper-V without any problem, as matter of fact that is what currently is happening on my machine as I'm typing up this post. Testing the tasksequences on a hyper-v gen 2 machine to catch the problems, then deploy it for the physical machines.

But why would you actually go ahead trough the trouble of capturing and sysprepping when your using SCCM?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornpreus View Post
    But why would you actually go ahead trough the trouble of capturing and sysprepping when your using SCCM?
    I thought much the same, but I did actually find a good reason! We're using App-V and the prerequisites are a pain to install as part of the task sequence, so I created a wim with them pre-installed

Actually just re-read the OP and noticed "Secure Boot UEFI" not sure what difference that makes, but I'm probably being no help here

Thank Post
    Indeed App-V is quite a good reason to capture :P

Secure boot is a option for UEFI boot. Since uefi is a direct file boot, you might wanna put a layer for security over it so it can't be tempered with

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread