+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, folder redirection allowing users to save folders but not files in certain scenarios in Technical; Very odd issue while setting up folder redirection via group policy, with home folders mapped to n: via AD, on ...
    Thank Post

folder redirection allowing users to save folders but not files in certain scenarios

Very odd issue while setting up folder redirection via group policy, with home folders mapped to n: via AD, on Server 2012. I've created two folders on the server, one for staff data, one for student data. Student users correctly see their My Documents redirected to their server folder, and can see their homefolder mapping to n, once logged in. Students can do the following via their "My Documents":
    - create folders directly within my documents
    - create files directly within my documents
    - create folders via an application, e.g. Microsoft Word

But CANNOT:
    create a file via an application, e.g. Microsoft Word
    A popup box appears telling them the drive may be write protected or full.

A further oddity:
    If I save to the n share (homefolder), there are no problems making the save!!

So in short, if I try save a file via Word to "My Documents" I get a permissions error, whereas if I save the same file to the homefolder mapped N drive, there is no problem. My Documents (set up via folder redirection group policy) and N drive (via homefolder in AD) both go to the same place on the server.

It's so bizarre! I've recreated the share twice, and set a second folder up for staff users which works perfectly. This is a brand new setup, so there are no security differences between staff and student users - right now they differ only in name, and the folder their data redirects to (same physical drive).

I've set up student users with the following special permissions, as per Deploy Folder Redirection with Offline Files
    List folder / read data - this folder only
    Create folders / append data - this folder only

Would really appreciate some help with this, as I'm out of ideas, and if I can't resolve this, I can't move away from RM!
    Last edited by Tara; 9th April 2014 at 02:16 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread