+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, NPS + Proxy Details in Technical; Greetings All, Hopefully this is the correct place for this thread. I have just setup a Network Policy Server which ...

Thank Post

NPS + Proxy Details

Greetings All,

Hopefully this is the correct place for this thread.

I have just setup a Network Policy Server which seems to be working quiet happily, however I am still having to manually enter our Internet Proxy Details, has anybody got a way of Automating this through NPS or other means? Specifically for Mobile/Tablet devices, all out domain machines get Proxy details through a GPO.
    Last edited by ironmaidenrule; 7th April 2014 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    GOOD LUCK it's very hard to get it to work on every single mobile device O/S as they all like different ways of doing it or just don't support it, I'm not sure it's possible with NPS at ALL?

But if you search the web alot say use a wpad file with the proxy details in it they also say you can put that file in different places on your network again for different O/S's it tends to work for some but not others if any at all.

I spent days trying this and it was just too hard to get it to work on so many different devices, I had iPhones, Samsungs, Nokia, blackberrys, LG's the list is huge some it would work and others if didn't, so another way was to get DHCP to issue the or a IP that belonged to the proxy server this was only if you are wanting internet access to the mobile devices? again this only works if your proxy server supports it and unathenticated it's a cheat way of a transparent proxy, best done on a VLAN too!

In the end I had to install a transparent proxy to get it working effectivly - I used IP COP on a spare PC, just put 3 NIC's in it, one for internal network one for external WAN (went in our internet VLAN) and one for the BYOD wireless VLAN I get students to authenticate upon connecting to the wireless then it allows them on the web without the need for proxy details - all logged and filterd by IP COP.

a little off your topic but it might help you???

3. Thanks to MuttsNutts from:

ironmaidenrule (10th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MuttsNutts View Post
    GOOD LUCK it's very hard to get it to work on every single mobile device O/S as they all like different ways of doing it or just don't support it, I'm not sure it's possible with NPS at ALL?

But if you search the web alot say use a wpad file with the proxy details in it they also say you can put that file in different places on your network again for different O/S's it tends to work for some but not others if any at all.

I spent days trying this and it was just too hard to get it to work on so many different devices, I had iPhones, Samsungs, Nokia, blackberrys, LG's the list is huge some it would work and others if didn't, so another way was to get DHCP to issue the or a IP that belonged to the proxy server this was only if you are wanting internet access to the mobile devices? again this only works if your proxy server supports it and unathenticated it's a cheat way of a transparent proxy, best done on a VLAN too!

In the end I had to install a transparent proxy to get it working effectivly - I used IP COP on a spare PC, just put 3 NIC's in it, one for internal network one for external WAN (went in our internet VLAN) and one for the BYOD wireless VLAN I get students to authenticate upon connecting to the wireless then it allows them on the web without the need for proxy details - all logged and filterd by IP COP.

a little off your topic but it might help you???
    Thank you for the helpful advice, will take a look at a transparent proxy. Did come across info on PAC and WPAD files but I think a transparent proxy would work best for guests and students, was a little surprised there wasn't more info out there or a defined method for BYOD and Internet Proxies, some articles and information was from 2006.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread