+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Help with mounting a network shared folder... in Technical; Is it possible to mount a network shared folder in a NTFS file system as a volume to be used ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Help with mounting a network shared folder...

Is it possible to mount a network shared folder in a NTFS file system as a volume to be used with Windows Server backup on server 2012? The shared folder lives on a QNAP box.

Feel free to hurl bricks at me is this is a totally stupid question...

Thank Post
    unless you can mount the qnap as an isci device i doubt it

Thank Post
    ^this

Windows server backup is very fussy about what it will allow you to backup to.

Thank Post
    i also misread a bit you want to back up TO a ans box if so create a FIXED SIZE vhd on it and tell windows backup to use that (fixed size as some nas boxes dont like resizing ones but be prepared for the vhd creation to take a long times (with one i did it took days) and you need a script to remount the vhd (i set it to bootup+5 mins and an hour or so before backup) dont have the script i use to hand

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i also misread a bit you want to back up TO a ans box if so create a FIXED SIZE vhd on it and tell windows backup to use that (fixed size as some nas boxes dont like resizing ones but be prepared for the vhd creation to take a long times (with one i did it took days) and you need a script to remount the vhd (i set it to bootup+5 mins and an hour or so before backup) dont have the script i use to hand
    If you use this option @sted - is it not possible to just mount the UNC path as a drive letter - presumably the same way as you would on windows 7 so right click computer --> map network drive..... --> select the drive letter you want it to use --> enter the unc path in and click the link or option(s) for entering any authentication details so that the server can authenticate against the NAS ( if it needs to ) to allow it to map the unc path as a drive letter and then use said drive letter to do the backups ( not sure if windows server backup will allow you to make backups in this manner though ) ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If you use this option @sted - is it not possible to just mount the UNC path as a drive letter - presumably the same way as you would on windows 7 so right click computer --> map network drive..... --> select the drive letter you want it to use --> enter the unc path in and click the link or option(s) for entering any authentication details so that the server can authenticate against the NAS ( if it needs to ) to allow it to map the unc path as a drive letter and then use said drive letter to do the backups ( not sure if windows server backup will allow you to make backups in this manner though ) ??
    no because you arnt using the mapped drive you are using the vhd file which needs to be mounted as a hard drive in its own right being able to see that f:\backup.vhd exists isnt enough

Thank Post
    as my previous post the vhd needs mounting (in such a way disk management can see it once windows backup has hold of it no longer has a drive letter and it calls it name of server and what looks like a date
    vhdmounted.jpg

found my script

Code:
    rem if exist "q:\imhere.txt" goto end
    diskpart /s "C:\vhdmount\vhdqdetails.txt"
    rem goto end

rem :end
    theres bits remed out as i diddnt realise it hid the drive once done vdqdetails.txt contents
    Code:
    select vdisk file="\\NAS01\backup\gw2vhd\gw2.vhd"
    attach vdisk
    select partition 1
    assign letter=q
    as amove really the q bit is now redundant but if it aint broke . . .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread