+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Windows Server 2012 - Internet Explorer Branding and Maintenance Policy. Solved! in Technical; Hello, One thing I have noticed on our system is slow log on times, with a PC displaying 'Applying Internet ...
    Thank Post

Windows Server 2012 - Internet Explorer Branding and Maintenance Policy. Solved!

Hello,

One thing I have noticed on our system is slow log on times, with a PC displaying 'Applying Internet Explorer Branding Policy' when logging on''

This is due to Server 2012 no longer supporting IE Maintenance in Group Policy. Windows 8 machines don't know what to 'do', so get stuck for a bit when logging on - putting errors in the Group Policy logs. Problem is, if a GPO previously used those settings (i.e. on a previous 2003/2008 system) - they are still there, but appear to be stuck forever. Normally, one would make a note of the policy's settings, delete it and create a new one.

I have tried removing the settings via a 2003 server on the domain (where you can 'see' it), but once again, no difference when running rsop.msc and seeing an error still suggesting the policy still says so etc.

These settings can be removed using adsiedit.msc as per the below links.

1. Use the first link to help with finding out which the GPO it, so you can get GUID when the search results appear. Don't follow the removal steps though.
    2. Use the second link to actually remove it from ADSI (as per the last comment on the page it links to) - you have the GUID, so no need to search for it at the command prompt.

No more slow logons (specifically due to that error, obviously other factors affect login times.)

Just thought it may help, as I spent 2 days on Google!

Paul.

1. Tracking Down Rouge CSEs: IE Maintenance GPO in Windows 8 - DeployHappiness
    2. Internet Explorer Branding failed due to the error listed below Server 2012 R2
    Last edited by RowlandoGloom; 26th March 2014 at 12:18 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread