+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, RDS Gateway Certificate problem in Technical; I have purchased a certificate in the name of my servers external FQDN . I have installed successfully as far ...

Thank Post

RDS Gateway Certificate problem

I have purchased a certificate in the name of my servers external FQDN . I have installed successfully as far as I can see.
    When I connect remotely I get as far as the RDP file opening and then get an error stating that "The hostname in the server certificate does not match the computer you are connecting to."

I am guessing this is because the external and internal names of the server are different.

How can I resolve this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Split DNS so you can access remote.domain.sch.uk via its internal IP when inside school and via its public when outside?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Split DNS so you can access remote.domain.sch.uk via its internal IP when inside school and via its public when outside?
    Its for RDS access so only would be accessed externally.
    How do you set up split dns?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Oh sorry I miss-understood your question I thought you were having the same issue a few have on here where they go server.local internally VS remote.school.sch.uk from home errors.

Thank Post
    What makes you think it's the internal/external name mismatch? With the error message, which name is it complaining about? The RD Gateway server, or the internal PC you are trying to RDP to through the RD Gateway server?

I believe there are a few places you need to ensure the RD Gateway name is set correctly in the MSC snap in, and it eventually then stops moaning (mostly) about the SSL naming etc. But you're sadly never truly rid of the warnings - I still get a yellow warning, and I also still get warnings about internal computers not having any certificate installed.

6. Thanks to Fivetwelve from:

fiza (20th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Same as above. I have a cert with our external fqdn and it complained about external and internal names not matching. Go over all the settings and then go back over them again. Off work this week but if you are still having issues next week give me a shout and I will get my notes over to you.

8. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

fiza (20th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivetwelve View Post
    What makes you think it's the internal/external name mismatch? With the error message, which name is it complaining about? The RD Gateway server, or the internal PC you are trying to RDP to through the RD Gateway server?

I believe there are a few places you need to ensure the RD Gateway name is set correctly in the MSC snap in, and it eventually then stops moaning (mostly) about the SSL naming etc. But you're sadly never truly rid of the warnings - I still get a yellow warning, and I also still get warnings about internal computers not having any certificate installed.
    Its complaining that the certificate is server.school.sch.uk and the remote computer it is connecting to is server.domain.school.sch.uk. So its complaining about the internal name not matching the external name and hence the certificate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Same as above. I have a cert with our external fqdn and it complained about external and internal names not matching. Go over all the settings and then go back over them again. Off work this week but if you are still having issues next week give me a shout and I will get my notes over to you.
    I have been over the settings several times but as I don't know where it I am going wrong I don't know what to change. If you can pm me your notes next week that would be great.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Its complaining that the certificate is server.school.sch.uk and the remote computer it is connecting to is server.domain.school.sch.uk. So its complaining about the internal name not matching the external name and hence the certificate.
    Hmm, as far as I know it will always complain about the internal computer DNS name because there isn't really an easy way to install the certificate on the internal machine?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread