+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Best way to migrate user data? in Technical; I'm currently creating an entirely new domain for a company of around 80 employees. Complete new VMWare infrastructure and we ...

Thank Post

Best way to migrate user data?

I'm currently creating an entirely new domain for a company of around 80 employees. Complete new VMWare infrastructure and we have no intention of re-using the existing servers. The existing system runs on SBS 2008 and the new is Svr 2012 / Exchange 2013.

Everything will be freshly created, new user accounts etc. I've no intention of migrating the existing environment, just user data. Folder redirection for docs and desktop will be used.

What is the best way to migrate the data to the new 2012 file server?

I'm thinking of ADMT but that requires a 2008R2 DC and lowering the functional level of the new domain to 2008. I can create a 2008 DC as a VM no problem and obviously I can demote the functional level and then raise it after the migration but is this this the best way to go about the move?

How else could I do it without giving myself permission headaches?

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Best way to migrate user data?

Robocopy is probably what I would use for such a small number of users. Permissions will be propagated down from the parent folder if you have things set right. Don't use ADMT if you are hoping for a completely clean new domain.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I second the use of RoboCopy, or use a Server Backup which will keep the permissions intact too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For user folders, let ADUC create the homefolders first, then migrate the data across using robocopy and **don't** use the 'copy permissions' options.

For shared/team drive migrations do use the copy permissions option, but then use SubinACL with a lookup table in a csv to map the permissions over. If you haven't been using role/capability groups you will now appreciate why you should

Used this method for 1500 user cross-domain migration a few years ago, with about 12TB of data. Went without a hitch.

Thank Post
    This is running and running for me. Robocopy is grumbling whichever way I use it, mainly it stalls accessing the original files with an "access denied error" which I cannot seem to overcome whichever options I use.

I'm thinking that I need to strip all the permissions so what's the correct switch combination with robocopy to achieve this?

The new domain is completely fresh, new user accounts created with different usernames and passwords from the existing domain. I need to create the appropriate file structure within the User$/FolderRedirections folder and then copy the files across with permissions recreated when the user opens, then saves the file. Or is this notion too simplistic?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by worcestertech View Post
    I'm thinking that I need to strip all the permissions so what's the correct switch combination with robocopy to achieve this?
    It really depends on the permissions you need to get out at the end of it. If the folder/permissions structure is simple wipe it off, copy the files and then reset it. if complex you need to look at it closer

Quote Originally Posted by worcestertech View Post
    The new domain is completely fresh, new user accounts created with different usernames and passwords from the existing domain. I need to create the appropriate file structure within the User$/FolderRedirections folder and then copy the files across with permissions recreated when the user opens, then saves the file. Or is this notion too simplistic?
    You don't need to create the folder structure under the redirected path ... we use \\Servername\Redirected$\%USERNAME%\... and all i did was create the redirect$ folder/share and add appropriate permissions. logging on as the user creates the folders under there. then copy the data in.
    If you are using new/different usernames on the new AD, scripting a copy could be problematic unless you do a CSV with the Old username and new username and some clever scripting

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread