+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, MDT sysrep & capture computer restarted unexpectedly in Technical; I'm doing a sysrep and capture of a reference computer, I set it off yesterday and had to leave before ...

Thank Post

MDT sysrep & capture computer restarted unexpectedly

I'm doing a sysrep and capture of a reference computer, I set it off yesterday and had to leave before it finished, I could see the wim file being created but this morning I came in and the computer is stuck in a loop resulting in a error box saying computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error windows installation cannot proceed. click OK to restart..

Not sure what to do ,not sure why it is starting windows with a setup preparing computer for first use? I haven't touched the wim file, I looked in setupact log file and it's going through device drivers with lots of "returning 0xe000020e for function 0x "etc

any advice? I really hope I haven't lost the reference computer setup

Am new on here so excuse me if this is obvious am quite new to server 2012, would really appreciate any help

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
    Not sure what to do ,not sure why it is starting windows with a setup preparing computer for first use? I haven't touched the wim file, I looked in setupact log file and it's going through device drivers with lots of "returning 0xe000020e for function 0x "etc
    Do you have MDT set to reboot at the end of the task sequence (have a look for finishaction= in customsettings.ini)? if so, then MDT will reboot when the image has captured and it will boot from the hard disk and boot from the (sysprep'ed) image.

I suggest creating a reference image in a virtual machine (but not installing vmware tools/Vbox guest additions/hyperv additions), then you will be able to snapshot at each stage and if something goes wrong you can revert to the last snapshot rather than rebuilding the reference image from scratch.

3. Thanks to computer_expert from:

boomish (19th December 2013)

Thank Post
    On busted build and capture check logs in c:\minint and /or c:\windows\deployment logs. Always use a virtual so the image is neutral as possible. Just check if amy of your application s require a reboot.

5. Thanks to free780 from:

boomish (19th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, great idea on reference image in a virtual machine exactly what I would have done, it was just the laptop install was completed by someone else, he knows a lot of older and existing software on the machine, that require a few workarounds I'm new to the School so was just trying to build an image of a fresh machine. I'll have a look in the MDT, again I used an existing task sequence that had been used before by the server installers to build an image already. (but not a great one)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread