+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Remote Access in Technical; Hello all So my school is new and im now getting asked if staff can work from home. Its a ...

Thank Post

Remote Access

Hello all

So my school is new and im now getting asked if staff can work from home. Its a secondary school and its been also asked is they can have access to SIMS from home too (I don't know if this is possible). Any ideas on what to use and how easy it is to setup? security is an issue of course.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks
    Last edited by uffy2000; 3rd December 2013 at 10:03 AM.

Thank Post
    you can set remote app on on server 2012 its quite easy and works well on different devices, i use it on IPads, macs and Pcs for my staff

here is a good website with step by step instructions
    RDS8 - Standard 3-Node RemoteApp Deployment on Windows Server 2012 - Concurrency, Inc.
    Last edited by lentaylor; 12th December 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Thank Post
    If you issue Windows laptops (Win7+) you can use the Routing and Remote Access features in Server 2012 to provide a SSTP VPN for your staff, they just connect and its like they never like they left the school!
    Just need a public IP to port forward against and a few minutes on the setup.

Server 2012 also makes it possible to use Direct Access (which is like a seamless VPN that connects whenever it detects you are away from the school network) its needs a little bit more work to make it work on Windows 7 but its very easy to get going on Windows 8.

Video demo (featuring me! ) - Server 2012 Direct Access - Overview and from the users view - YouTube

4. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Alis_Klar (28th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    If you issue Windows laptops (Win7+) you can use the Routing and Remote Access features in Server 2012 to provide a SSTP VPN for your staff, they just connect and its like they never like they left the school!

Server 2012 also makes it possible to use Direct Access (which is like a seamless VPN that connects whenever it detects you are away from the school network) its needs a little bit more work to make it work on Windows 7 but its very easy to get going on Windows 8.

Video demo (featuring me! ) - Server 2012 Direct Access - Overview and from the users view - YouTube
    Ive never setup a SSTP VPN before do you have any info on how to do that?

Thank Post
    TechNet is the place to begin but as an overview-

1. Obtain valid SSL certificate (I get mine through GoDaddy) + get a external DNS entry setup (e.g. vpn.<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk) that points at one of your public facing IPs
    2. Setup new Virtual Machine dedicated to VPN/DirectAccess
    3. Port forward one of your public IP address (easier said than done if you are using a LEA connection) to the IP address of the network adapter on the server
    4. Enable the Routing and Remote Access role on your server
    5. Import the SSL certificate to the server
    6. Follow through the steps on the 'setup remote access wizard'
    7. Setup the software client on your users PCs and show them how awesome it is.

Took me a good half day to work it out the first time but I've setup so many now that its a 10 minute job - the energy expended making it work will be well worth it!

7. Thanks to jamesfed from:

uffy2000 (12th December 2013)

Thank Post
    TechNet is the place to begin but as an overview-

1. Obtain valid SSL certificate (I get mine through GoDaddy) + get a external DNS entry setup (e.g. vpn.<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk) that points at one of your public facing IPs
    2. Setup new Virtual Machine dedicated to VPN/DirectAccess
    3. Port forward one of your public IP address (easier said than done if you are using a LEA connection) to the IP address of the network adapter on the server
    4. Enable the Routing and Remote Access role on your server
    5. Import the SSL certificate to the server
    6. Follow through the steps on the 'setup remote access wizard'
    7. Setup the software client on your users PCs and show them how awesome it is.

Took me a good half day to work it out the first time but I've setup so many now that its a 10 minute job - the energy expended making it work will be well worth it!
    Took me a week to get the LEA/Virgin to alter Public DNS and point it to a Public IP. What fun! I already have a SSL Certificate for HAP+ (which I am (trying too) setup) but we have win 7 enterprise and server 2012. Problem with Direct Access is that it would only work for my staff (as they are the only ones with School laptops) and not students who want access.

Thank Post
    Sounds like you are pretty well setup already, you would need another SSL cert (or a SAN/Wildcard one that covers HAP+) and another IP address (again unless you use a SAN/Wildcard) but otherwise all is ok.

Well worth looking at DA (only need to setup a server with Public Key Infrastructure (which isn't as scary as it sounds)) as well - there are some very good guides out there for setting it up to work with Windows 7.

Thank Post

Also I notice in your video that you have used Bitlocker. How would you rank it for encryption, full disk etc?

Thank Post
    Sounds like you are pretty well setup already, you would need another SSL cert (or a SAN/Wildcard one that covers HAP+) and another IP address (again unless you use a SAN/Wildcard) but otherwise all is ok.

Well worth looking at DA (only need to setup a server with Public Key Infrastructure (which isn't as scary as it sounds)) as well - there are some very good guides out there for setting it up to work with Windows 7.
    I did originally look at DA as solution for the school but as it didn't cover my students I thought that it may be a bit futile (but fun and interesting for me to setup) to provide something for staff and something entirely different for the students.

Thank Post
    Bearing in mind that every laptop I get now has a TPM chip inside I couldn't fault BitLocker, the SCCM Task Sequence for operating system deployment turns it on automatically and all the keys are backed up to AD. Totally seamless to the user as well.

Both VPN and DA can reside on the same server and use the same SSL cert + public IP so its just the extra setup

Thank Post
    Bearing in mind that every laptop I get now has a TPM chip inside I couldn't fault BitLocker, the SCCM Task Sequence for operating system deployment turns it on automatically and all the keys are backed up to AD. Totally seamless to the user as well.

Both VPN and DA can reside on the same server and use the same SSL cert + public IP so its just the extra setup
    hmm didn't know that. im currently having fun with SCCM and SCDPM and getting that setup, trying to get that past the pre-requisites stage. Never set that up either....

Thank Post
    SCCM has so much in it that you will be learning new things about it for years to come (I still am having used it since the 2007 version).

DPM + Hyper-V again is great! So much better than VEEAM + VMWare (IMO) make sure you look at the end user recovery features which takes the load off your file storage servers for doing 'previous versions'.

Thank Post
    SCCM has so much in it that you will be learning new things about it for years to come (I still am having used it since the 2007 version).

DPM + Hyper-V again is great! So much better than VEEAM + VMWare (IMO) make sure you look at the end user recovery features which takes the load off your file storage servers for doing 'previous versions'.
    Sweet....I looked at VEEAM aswell when I looked at backup and I have my servers setup with Hyper-V so it should be good, I didn't know that is was called End user recovery features, I was going to use VSS (previous versions) but I heard that it slows down the VM's and my SAS drives! im hoping to finally get past the pre-requisites stages at somepoint. Keeps failing on the SQL access I think.

Thank Post
    That's the one, although if you use DFS Namespace you need a hot fix on Windows 7 clients to allow them to use Previous Versions. All the same there are some very cool features out there.

Thank Post
    That's the one, although if you use DFS Namespace you need a hot fix on Windows 7 clients to allow them to use Previous Versions. All the same there are some very cool features out there.
    I need a hotfix if I use SCDPM? is that correct? do you know the hotfix number by anychance?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast