+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 File Server - suddenly stops serving requests (but otherwise looks fine) in Technical; Is someone using DFS-Namesspaces / Replication on his 2012 fileserver?...

Thank Post
    Is someone using DFS-Namesspaces / Replication on his 2012 fileserver?

Thank Post
    So can everyone log into their Domain controllers and run netstat -an and look for 389 connections (more than one per device). Does it look like a lot of connections? When the File share server goes done (and run before it does as a comparison) run netstat -an | Select-String -pattern ":389" from powershell. Before connected after not connected? I am chasing this issue down for our environment. If you see what I am seeing we might be onto something.

Thank Post
    I'm only seeing a few entries at a time using :389, and no discernible difference in the before, during and after file share issues. What I am seeing, and this may be normal as I haven't used netstat often enough to know if this is normal, is seeing a TON of entries overall. Pages and pages of them, most for TCP 127.0.0.1:randomport# showing state: esablished, or UDP 0.0.0.0:randomport#, or UDP [::]:randomport# both of the latter two showing *.* as their state. Perhaps you could tell me what those mean? Because that's an awful long list.

PS: If you have time to explain, assume I'm a total admin noob.
    Last edited by bergmbe; 10th March 2014 at 08:57 PM.

Thank Post
    So those are listening ports, that is good. I have verified that the finals your server is listening on 445 which is SMB. Domain controller should be listening on 389. It might be but I have more issues besides the file server server. The occurrences I'm still happening I have a case open with Microsoft. We're doing some packet captures and memory dumps I will keep you posted.

Thank Post
    Any way to filter the results so it doesn't list listening ports, but only active ones? I did a netstat -? in powershell and looked up a few things, but didn't see an easy way to filter for that in the results.

Thank Post
    powershell you can | (pipe) Select-String -pattern "what you are looking for". Like above netstat | select-string -pattern ":389".

DJL

Thank Post
    Microsoft have suggested disabling SMB Leasing - it appears to have solved the problem for us.

You need to add the following reg key: reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters /v DisableLeasing /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

More info on leasing can be found here: What's New in SMB

The following will be logged in the event log when you add the reg key:

File leasing has been disabled for the SMB2 and SMB3 protocols. This reduces functionality and can decrease performance.

Registry Key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters
    Registry Value: DisableLeasing
    Default Value: 0 (or not present)
    Current Value: non-zero

Guidance:

You should expect this event when disabling SMB 3 Leasing. Microsoft does not recommend disabling SMB Leasing. Once disabled, traffic from client to server may increase since metadata and data may no longer be retrieved from a local cache.

8. 2 Thanks to DJL:

AngryTechnician (12th March 2014), lmgtfy (12th March 2014)

Thank Post
    the consultant we hired recommended this when he found out what was going on at the high level. You do lose all the benefits of smb 2 and 3. Let me know how long you go with out issues.

Thank Post
    I had previously disabled smb 2/3 on our server anyway, thinking it might be related given that it seemed to fix similar problems in 2008R2. All smb connections are at 1.5. If I'm understanding correctly, leasing wasn't introduced until SMB 2 or 2.1. If I'm still having the issues, it seems (logically) like disabling leasing wouldn't necessarily help.

That said, I'll probably try re-enabling smb 2/3 later today or tonight and then disabling leasing. Because I'm flat out of ideas at this point.

ETA: Had our clients begin losing access, after 1/3rd of the company had lost access, I opted to re-enable SMB2 & 3 in powershell, then add the registry key DJL recommended prior to rebooting the server to restore access. I'll let you know if/when we have the same problem again.

After looking at this a second time: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547 I noticed that SMB Leasing isn't listed as being disabling when you turn smb2 & 3 off, so it's possible that my previously disabling smb 2 & 3 wouldn't have also disabled leasing. I've since verified with get-smbserverconfiguration in powershell that leasing is, in fact, disabled now.
    Last edited by bergmbe; 12th March 2014 at 07:03 PM.

DJL

Thank Post
    Problems resurfaced - so the registry key isn't a fix after all

12. Thanks to DJL from:

AngryTechnician (13th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Same here. Reoccurred this morning, going to see how today goes. If it changes the frequency of problems at all. In the meantime, I'll proceed with moving all of our files over to Ubuntu LTS and getting a samba fileshare up. It's not an ideal solution, but at least I won't have to reboot it every few hours.

Thank Post
    Just out of interest what antivirus are people using ? We have the issue and uninstalled Mcafee from the server and now we are down to one reboot a day. Wonder if it's a conflicting windows update/antivirus issue

Thank Post
    You're going to laugh, but at the moment I'm rebuilding the infrastructure from the ground up so that's my excuse. We have a nearly pristine Windows Server 2012 R2 install with no antivirus currently running. Individual workstations are mostly running microsoft security essentials for now.

Thank Post
    According to a contact who runs a support provider business, MS are desperately trying to say it has something to do with Anti-Virus...at first they insisted Sophos, but then when they were told it happens with their AV software as well, they were oddly silent...they suggested not having AV on the server for a month!!

Thank Post
    Guess rules that out. I'm going to try having windows 8.1 machines off the network for couple of days as seems like issue was after they were updated at the half term but don't think they would be the issue

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast