+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 File Server - suddenly stops serving requests (but otherwise looks fine) in Technical; Just seen this thread. Put a new (well, repurposed hardware) server in over the Christmas break to use as a ...

Thank Post
    Just seen this thread.

Put a new (well, repurposed hardware) server in over the Christmas break to use as a staff file server:

• 2012 R2 Server Standard Edition. Running DNS server and ADDS roles (as the previous 2008 R2 box was)
    • HP Proliant DL380 G5: dual quad-core Xeon, 24Gb RAM, teamed NIC, current firmware.
    • Files stored on external HP MSA2012sa array, directly attached to server rather than via iSCSI.
    • FSRM role installed. Quota monitoring (not enforcement) on staff home drives, but no other folders.

About once a day, access from my Windows 8.1 Enterprise client just hangs: can't open email attachments, direct access to files stored on this server stops either through Explorer or individual applications, can't open Explorer as takes an age to refresh view of mapped drives. Interestingly I noticed existing explorer windows still display files OK and can move between directories on the server if they were open at time behaviour occurs.

The server happily returns a ping with normal response times, and can be RDPd into when it has one of these moments.

A reboot of the workstation seems to sort access out for me and as none of the other Win 8.1 or 7 clients seem to have this problem - at least nobody else has yet mentioned this sort of behaviour to me - I had been assuming it was a problem on my individual workstation (the event logs on indicate possible drive corruption so I was going to blitz it and reinstall in a free moment).

At least, I was until I read this thread anyway!

As others have had what sounds like a similar fault, with Windows 2012 and 2012 R2, but there is little information as to what might be causing it, I may just log a call with our software support providers (ESC UK) on Monday as they will escalate up to Microsoft if needed.
    Last edited by TheCrust; 11th January 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Has anyone tried clearing down their profiles and starting again?

It's just a thought, but further to the above I rebuilt my Windows 8.1 client yesterday with a new hard drive. That seemed to speed the system up nicely, so I guess the old install wasn't particularly great (it had been an 8.0 install, upgraded to 8.1 when it went RTM and its not beyond the bounds of possibility that the new drive I'd fitted to install 8 was also an early failure), but the problem was still there - only worse. It would now take an age to show Computer if Explorer was opened for about the first five minutes after logging in, in addition to the regular cease-and-desist behaviour it would show randomly when accessing file shares on this one particular 2012 server.

Cleared down my profile first thing this morning and let Windows regenerate it as part of the next step of troubleshooting, and the whole lot seems so much happier. It hasn't had one of its moments yet today - though I've not been at my desk much today to be completely sure.

Has anyone else tried this step if the problem is consistent, but not necessarily reproducable on demand, with a user?

Thank Post
    Happened to our 2012 server twice one last friday and the other time a couple of weeks before the Christmas break.
    Had 2012 running for a couple of months as a file server as a non DC and the problem did not occur. A couple of days after we promoted it to a DC the problem occurred.
    Does everyone else have there 2012 as a DC when this problem occurs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s_tu View Post
    Happened to our 2012 server twice one last friday and the other time a couple of weeks before the Christmas break.
    Had 2012 running for a couple of months as a file server as a non DC and the problem did not occur. A couple of days after we promoted it to a DC the problem occurred.
    Does everyone else have there 2012 as a DC when this problem occurs?
    That's interesting - I never thought about the possible roles a server is hosting could cause the problem. So presumably you have it setup as a DC, running DNS, DHCP and File Services? Any other roles? Would be good to know what other roles the rest of you are running with this problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    That's interesting - I never thought about the possible roles a server is hosting could cause the problem. So presumably you have it setup as a DC, running DNS, DHCP and File Services? Any other roles? Would be good to know what other roles the rest of you are running with this problem.
    Current roles on the server are Active Directory Domain Services, DNS and File and storage services.

Thank Post
    Our 2012 file servers aren't DCs, and have been fine aside from one isolated incident. Our 2012 R2 DCs aren't file servers, and have been fine. So could be correlation there...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I saw this a few times in the first week of running 2012 (Hyper-V Clustered File Servers Here), but updates seemed to make it go away.

Yesterday we had the first instance of it since last September, then 20 minutes later the second instance. As with everyone else nothing immediately looked wrong.

Straw Clutching - Looking at our login logs, a staff member logged themselves into a whole room with Impero for a training session, and the first failure came 5 minutes after that?

No logs or useful information though!

Thank Post
    There is a list of hotfixes that are related to files services on Microsoft website.

List of currently available hotfixes for the File Services technologies in Windows Server 2012 and in Windows Server 2012 R2

Might be worth doing some tests with this. We don't have any 2012 r2 servers yet.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Ours was just a data server, just student data...rolled back to 2008R2 and it's been fine.

Thank Post
    Not had an issue since the first and only time. "Touch Wood"

Thank Post
    We've had this two or three times since moving our FS services to 2012 - server slowly stops responding to file requests, and then stops entirely - at which point the phones light up! Responds to pings fine, remote desktop is alive and everything seems fine, but file services are down!

Reboot fixes it. Once I put this down to Veeam, as another technician hadn't ended a restore job for 2 days, and then somebody tried to do another one. At this point the server shart itself.

Any of you running Veeam?

Thank Post
    Yep running Veeam here but never seen a backup do anything like that.

Thank Post
    Nope - no Veam here.

Thank Post
    Kind of rules Veeam out then... it's an odd issue, touch wood it's not shown up again recently so might have been fixed in a hotfix?

Thank Post
    I'm still having issues with mine - clearing down my profile did not solve it, but I seem to be the only one that's affected by this issue at the moment. On average about once a day though the timing always seems different. Everyone else seems to be fine, or hasn't noticed if there's a problem.

I opened a call with our support company (who should refer it up to MS if they can't fix it).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast