+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 File Server - suddenly stops serving requests (but otherwise looks fine) in Technical; Originally Posted by laserblazer Happened again today seems to be once a week. I wondering if it could be anything ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Happened again today seems to be once a week. I wondering if it could be anything to do with WSUS. I'm just about to dive into some logs.
    How did you come to that conclusion may I ask? Do you mean a new update that's been deployed and installed via WSUS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Harve View Post
    Well today we had our 2012 r2 server stop letting shares be accessed, or if they could be accessed taking 5-10 mins. This was both through unc path and ip address. Has anyone else had anything similar on R2 and has anyone found a fix as a reboot isn't really good enough for a server os!!
    I think if it were me, I'd be inclined to put a 2008 R2 box back on the network and move shares back. It clearly doesn't suffer from this issue and it's weird Microsoft are being rather quiet about it. As I say, I hope all of you with this problem have reported it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    How did you come to that conclusion may I ask? Do you mean a new update that's been deployed and installed via WSUS?
    Clutching at straws!

Thank Post
    I personally think it's update related. My 2012 file server has only the File and Storage Services role installed and hasn't had any updates applied since August (I know, I know!) and has never suffered from this problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    I personally think it's update related. My 2012 file server has only the File and Storage Services role installed and hasn't had any updates applied since August (I know, I know!) and has never suffered from this problem.
    That's interesting - although I think you should have patched it by now, it does prove a point it could well be an update. Are there really that many post 2012 R2 updates? Surely not.

Thank Post
    ditto. there were some patches for 08r2vthat caused me headaches earlier in the year so for the moment ive stopped updating servers and 2012 auto reboot is silly you donparches forget to reboot then it just "randomly" reboots itself to complete bad enough on workstations dumb on a server

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think if it were me, I'd be inclined to put a 2008 R2 box back on the network and move shares back. It clearly doesn't suffer from this issue and it's weird Microsoft are being rather quiet about it. As I say, I hope all of you with this problem have reported it!
    Thats my plan for now, but need to find time to migrate shares as don't use DFS!!

Thank Post
    Having simillar bother here on three virtualised (hyper-v) 2012 servers. Been having people going online / offline randomly. Noticed something in SMB client logs on the servers though.

Event ID: 30621 SMBClientSession to server \servername was lost Status 0xC0000203

Event ID: 30623 SMBClient
    Connection to share \servername\Data was lost. Status 0xC0000203

And then they instantly reconnect. This happens several times a day. Think its linked?
    Last edited by JamesDonkin; 10th December 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Thank Post
    My unpatched 2012 servers did this during the setup stage, keep clutching haha

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    My unpatched 2012 servers did this during the setup stage, keep clutching haha
    Did you apply any patches other than those on windows update?

Thank Post
    Nope, I didnt patch at all before it happened. I was in the process of setting up a WSUS server so just waited until that was up and running.

Thank Post
    I was excited about some kind of magic bullet there but they're all up to date by windows update, cheers anyway though. Our main storage is a SAN on iSCSI which I'm going to give its own NIC x-over cable and subnet tonight. See if that has anything to do with it although I doubt it, I'm clutching at straws.

Thank Post
    Well in some respects I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue it's now going to be the first brave sole who waits for the issue to present and then gets in contact with Microsoft when's it's not working who is going to win this battle. Main problem is who can afford to do this when a restart solves it and ringing Microsoft and getting any useful helps takes an age in my experience anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrowlands View Post
    Well in some respects I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue it's now going to be the first brave sole who waits for the issue to present and then gets in contact with Microsoft when's it's not working who is going to win this battle. Main problem is who can afford to do this when a restart solves it and ringing Microsoft and getting any useful helps takes an age in my experience anyway.
    Assuming you are fully up to date with Windows Server update rollups, and recommended windows 7 hotfixes,
    log the call before it next manifests, state that it has happened before.

MS can show you how to get your server to produce a crash dump which they can use for debugging, it only takes marginally longer than a straight up reboot.

Also the new message analyser tool may be able to do circular logging, and therefor perhaps have tracing and packet captures available of the machine/network state in the moments before srv2.sys turned up its toes... So opening a case with MS probably isn't a waste of time.
    Last edited by psydii; 10th December 2013 at 06:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Just revisiting this post - had what I would call a 'slow down' today on the server that I migrated all of my data from (which was having this problem origoinaly).

I noticed that requests to the server for files were taking much longer than usual, a quick reboot soon sorted it out.

So simlar but not the same....

Anyone had any new thoughts?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast