+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 File Server - suddenly stops serving requests (but otherwise looks fine) in Technical; Ditto here; found another 20MB/s with that fix. Didn't have any issues in the first place but every little helps. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ditto here; found another 20MB/s with that fix. Didn't have any issues in the first place but every little helps. Beforehand, file server to client was around 80MB/s and that improved to just over 100.

2. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

laserblazer (4th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Beforehand, file server to client was around 80MB/s and that improved to just over 100
    I'll try to a client, I don't suppose the cheapo Buffalo NAS is particularly fast.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmbe View Post
    Srv2.sys;In my opinion this is the actual change that fixed the issue. The srv2.sys driver controls SMB 2 traffic at the kernel level, in operating systems pre Server 2012 R2 the driver is set to auto start. Microsoft have changed the functionality for Server 2012 R2 to ‘start on demand’, this seems to not be starting gracefully when a request is made on SMB 2 or above.
    To change srv2.sys to auto start, open cmd and typesc config srv2 start=autoa reboot will be required after running this command.
    When I talked to the lead network tech about this fix,referenced him to this article, how many people it was affecting etc, he advised that in all cases experiencing this issue changing the srv2.sys to auto start has worked 100% of the time. Why haven’t MS release an official patch I asked – because there have not been enough cases to warrant an official fix.
    I’m very interested in if this fixes your issues, please mark this as an answer if I bring you success! Best of luck!"

Just to update the thread with my own experiences, I tried this trick some weeks back. The box was rebooted and I forgot all about it. Only recently moved the FSMO roles that had been provoking the problem back to the server to see if the problem was still repeatable and.....

It's gone!

FSMO roles have been back on the server about a week without issue, whereas before I could almost provoke the upset behaviour within minutes - so this seems to be the cure for this particular "undocumented feature" of Windows Server 2012.

Thank Post
    It happened again on Tuesday afternoon. I've started having the server task manager open so I can see how it's performing. I just happeened to be moving a large file and the data rate was up around 70MB/s, after a couple of minutes is suddenly dropped down to less than 1MB/s and seconds later my phone started ringing. The server cpu was at less than 10% and there were no peaks, Memory steady at 67%. I rebooted the server and all was well again.

Thank Post
    Yes, it's back with my server too. After a couple of weeks of hosting FSMO roles without an issue, it decided to have a right episode and not behave normally until I'd removed the PDC emulator role (as I had to do before to get it to regularly, and reliably, serve files again)

Back to square one for me. Not that hosting FSMO roles on that box is crucial, but I am wary of the problem appearing on any other box that we may have to host roles on...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it's back with my server too. After a couple of weeks of hosting FSMO roles without an issue, it decided to have a right episode and not behave normally until I'd removed the PDC emulator role (as I had to do before to get it to regularly, and reliably, serve files again)

Back to square one for me. Not that hosting FSMO roles on that box is crucial, but I am wary of the problem appearing on any other box that we may have to host roles on...

Thank Post
    Out of interest, can people who are having this problem post to say if they have ?:\users shared or each users' homedir shared (e.g. ?:\users\students\2012intake\username

Many thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112