+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 File Server - suddenly stops serving requests (but otherwise looks fine) in Technical; Hiya, Not related to the OP issue, can i ask how you went about doing the in-place upgrade on your ...

Thank Post
    Hiya,

Not related to the OP issue, can i ask how you went about doing the in-place upgrade on your 2008 R2 servers? We're got 3 x DCs which are running 2008 R2 and the rest of the servers as well (all 2008 r2). I really don't want to create/migrate DCs and then rename this. I'm trying to get to a point where we can still call it the same names as before to minimize issues and our documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Watching this thread closely - have 2 x 2012 R2 file servers and 2 2012 R2 DCs. We've been running all since February without a hitch so far, hopefully staying that way.

Setup:

DFS-R in use on file shares, DeDuplication enabled. All are guests on ESXi 5.5 hosts on the VMXNET3 adapter. Haven't applied any fixes other than what come throgh from windows update. All 4 servers were in-place upgrades from 2008R2. One thing that may or may not be of consequence is the 2008R2 had the TCPChimney issue resolved.

Thank Post
    Hiya,

Not related to the OP issue, can i ask how you went about doing the in-place upgrade on your 2008 R2 servers? We're got 3 x DCs which are running 2008 R2 and the rest of the servers as well (all 2008 r2). I really don't want to create/migrate DCs and then rename this. I'm trying to get to a point where we can still call it the same names as before to minimize issues and our documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Watching this thread closely - have 2 x 2012 R2 file servers and 2 2012 R2 DCs. We've been running all since February without a hitch so far, hopefully staying that way.

Setup:

DFS-R in use on file shares, DeDuplication enabled. All are guests on ESXi 5.5 hosts on the VMXNET3 adapter. Haven't applied any fixes other than what come throgh from windows update. All 4 servers were in-place upgrades from 2008R2. One thing that may or may not be of consequence is the 2008R2 had the TCPChimney issue resolved.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeltinker View Post
    Solved the problem on my end. I don't know why it should matter, but I was using an E1000 network adapter on the VM's giving me this issue, I switched them to VMXNET 3 and have not seen the issue re-occur. This was almost a daily problem and it has not happened for the 8 days that I have been running the VMXNET 3 adapters.

I know some of you are not using VMWare ESXI hosts, but for those that are, give this a shot!

ESXI 5.1
    Server 2012R2
    Thanks 2wheel, I'll definitely give this a shot this weekend. I've since moved the bulk of our files to a very simple Samba fileshare on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS. Works like a dream, but I don't have the know how to properly set up user based access in command line, so I'm planning to move back to 2012R2 when I get a fix in place. I left a small fileshare and print sharing on the VM running 2012R2, so I'll switch the NICs over from E1000 to VMXNET3 and see if it solves it on our end as well. I'll report back next week once I've had a chance to test it.

Thank Post

Server 2012 File Server - suddenly stops serving requests (but otherwise look...

double
    Last edited by SeanVin; 21st March 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spc-rocket View Post
    Hiya,

Not related to the OP issue, can i ask how you went about doing the in-place upgrade on your 2008 R2 servers?
    Made sure we had good backups from the night previous, put in the 2012 disc and followed the given instructions That part of it was easy. Had to do a few extra steps beforehand on ESXi (upgraded ESXi from 5.0 to 5.5 to allow proper compatibility, changed the VM mode to Server 2012, this may be moot if you're not virtual).

One gotcha; if you use DFS, it doesn't reinstall the management console for it, you'll need to do that manually yourself. Our replication didn't quite work as it should afterwards so had to manually recreate the replication setups.

6. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

spc-rocket (27th March 2014)

Thank Post
    From the technet thread courtesy of Vitis_Vinifera

"RESOLVED!
    OK People! I hope I can help you everyone out with this solution MS have provided me. I have been dealing closley with the Network Team, in particular the most skilled escalation tech of Asia Pacific who happened to be an expert in SMB. My system has been stable for around 10 days now.
    My Environment

• vmware ESXi 5.1.0 build 1123961
    • Server 2012 R2

My Symptoms

MS have recommended two components to this fix, however, with the vm driver fix applied I was still experiencing the issue, it wasnít until I made the change to the srv2.sys that the fix became permanent.
    Vmware driver;MS believe that this driver (vsepflt)could have been conflicting with the srv2.sys driver. To disable follow this article. VMware KB: Degraded Windows network file copy performance after full ESXi 5 VMware Tools installation

Srv2.sys;In my opinion this is the actual change that fixed the issue. The srv2.sys driver controls SMB 2 traffic at the kernel level, in operating systems pre Server 2012 R2 the driver is set to auto start. Microsoft have changed the functionality for Server 2012 R2 to Ďstart on demandí, this seems to not be starting gracefully when a request is made on SMB 2 or above.
    To change srv2.sys to auto start, open cmd and typesc config srv2 start=autoa reboot will be required after running this command.
    When I talked to the lead network tech about this fix,referenced him to this article, how many people it was affecting etc, he advised that in all cases experiencing this issue changing the srv2.sys to auto start has worked 100% of the time. Why havenít MS release an official patch I asked Ė because there have not been enough cases to warrant an official fix.
    Iím very interested in if this fixes your issues, please mark this as an answer if I bring you success! Best of luck!"

8. Thanks to bergmbe from:

Jasbo (26th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spc-rocket View Post
    Hiya,

Thanks in advance,

Ash.
    Make sure you have a good back up, I done 4 of ours, 2x 2008 and 2x 2008r2 DCs.

It was easy enough, and just took an hour or two on each one in terms of sitting waiting to finish what its doing.

10. Thanks to internetuser from:

spc-rocket (27th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is this something specific to ESXi 5.1 or older, out of interest? Still worried we've had no issues whatsoever and half expecting them. (we're on 5.5)

Thank Post
    Definitely not specific to ESXi 5.1 or earlier. I have ESXi 5.5 Build 1474528 and still experienced this problem consistently. Currently I'm in the process of verifying stability after switching the network adapters from VM's E1000 to VMXNET3 to see if that fixes it. If you're not experiencing the problems, would you mind checking to see what network adapters you've assigned to the VM running 2012R2? Are they E1000's, or VMXNET3? Or something else?

If 2WheelTinker's VMXNET3 supposition doesn't fix it, I intend to implement the fix detailed in the technet link above. So far, after a few days of stability, I haven't had any issues with the network adapter change. But I also haven't had time to stress test it to see for sure if it's fixed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Running VMXNET3, have done since we started as we trunk network connections and it'd be fairly pointless to limit them to a gig with the e1000.

Thank Post
    Well that gives me great hope that having switched to that will fix our issues as well. I need to download and learn to use IOMeter so I can stress test it, but my job's other responsibilities (part time IT guy here) have gotten it the way. People don't tend to give me as much freedom to troubleshoot when things (to their eyes) are working just fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Can any of you running a 2012 or a 2012 R2 box with slow file transfers try this fix and post the results.

Thank Post
    and if its a vm there's a setting on the real pcs nic that an make your network card run like sludge
    sludgenic.jpg
    set it to disabled it can go from bytes/sec to 100's of mbs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeltinker View Post
    Solved the problem on my end. I don't know why it should matter, but I was using an E1000 network adapter on the VM's giving me this issue, I switched them to VMXNET 3 and have not seen the issue re-occur. This was almost a daily problem and it has not happened for the 8 days that I have been running the VMXNET 3 adapters.

I know some of you are not using VMWare ESXI hosts, but for those that are, give this a shot!

ESXI 5.1
    Server 2012R2
    Have had issues with 2012 R2 on VMWare and was advised by VMWare to change to the VMXNet 3 Adaptors in settings fixed all our issues with one click.

Hope this helps someone!

Thank Post
    I've not seen the problem for a few weeks now (famous last words) but I did turn off the SSL Digital signing and the transfer rate went up from around 58MB/s to 70MB/s and seemed pretty steady. I've been constantly copying a 11GB file from one of the NAS backups to the server and it has been around there all day.

What sort of transfer rate would you expect to see copying a big file across a 1Gb network?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast