+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 File Server - suddenly stops serving requests (but otherwise looks fine) in Technical; We have no AV on our file servers at the moment. We built a new file server, clean install..just windows ...
    DJL

Thank Post
    We have no AV on our file servers at the moment. We built a new file server, clean install..just windows and we have the same problem with it. It definitely has nothing to do with 3rd party software on the server, or even other Microsoft products.

We use System Center Endpoint Protection 2012 on our workstations

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Server 2012 File Server - suddenly stops serving requests (but otherwise look...

Here's something that looks promising:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2928360

"When an SMB2 or an SMB3 session has explicit credentials, it will hold a reference to the credential object. However, currently the cleanup for the session entry does not remove the reference. Therefore, the credential object becomes leaked."

It is a client fix but the advice is to 'install this everywhere'.

Post back your experiences.
    Last edited by psydii; 13th March 2014 at 07:35 PM.

3. Thanks to psydii from:

AngryTechnician (14th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I don't know if it is being helpful but I have a 2012 fileserver and I don't seem to have the problems you all seem to be having. If there are any settings you would like me to look at/compare let me know. I'll be updating it to 2012R2 tomorrow to match its DFS replication partner (and because I like R2 better than the R1 version) so be quick if you do.

DJL

Thank Post
    Good luck with the upgrade - i'd recommend you create a BMR image just in case you want to go back to 2012! We didn't see the problem at all on 2012 but 2012 R2 has been falling over every 20 mins since the upgrade if left under full load.

Thank Post
    Solved the problem on my end. I don't know why it should matter, but I was using an E1000 network adapter on the VM's giving me this issue, I switched them to VMXNET 3 and have not seen the issue re-occur. This was almost a daily problem and it has not happened for the 8 days that I have been running the VMXNET 3 adapters.

I know some of you are not using VMWare ESXI hosts, but for those that are, give this a shot!

ESXI 5.1
    Server 2012R2

7. Thanks to 2wheeltinker from:

xenonive (18th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Guys,

The hotfix I linked to was pointed out to me by a well known MS employee/troubleshooter. It would be great to get some feedback as to whether installing it all clients and servers makes a difference.

I note that there do not appear to have been any update rollups to 2012 since 2012R2 (i.e. 2012R2 *is* the next rollup to 2012)... so I postulate that any occurrence of the issue on 2012R2 is either due to a regression, or perhaps the presence of win8 clients on the network?

Thanks
    P.

Thank Post
    I have this problem, only i am running 2012 R2. I only have the issue on my XP clients! My windows 7 clients work no problem. I can access the file shares by using "\\10.0.0.1\share rather than \\filesrv1\share". I haven't installed updates recently.

Thank Post
    Well, we seem to have a resolution at our end - three weeks and no further episodes of the issues with accessing the file server.

This is a transcript from MS Support, I hope it helps some of you guys too (this is as received!):-

RESOLUTION:

1.We Removed all third party from Server, disabled the same on Host,Bypassed NIC teaming, disabled Offloading features, Updated NIC drivers and Disabled SMB 3.
    2.We Also have put the Server service in a Separate Container
    Sc config lanmanserver type= own
    3.Check if this Latest patch is installed Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: February 2014

4.After observing the server for couple of days we reverted the changesdone from Step 1
    5.After analyzing the Dump

The investigation reveals that we arestuck due to oplock. We have seen lot of oPlock requests queued up. The server Sends the break Request for the same but does notreceive any response. Lease Break never happens due to which all the requestafter this point get stuck in redirector and after a point it gives up. Following Registry Key will help in this case

If the issue is noticed again Try the below registry key and check if issue re-occurs
    Run “Reg addHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Ser vices\lanmanserver\parameters /vDisableLeasing /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f”
    Reboot the SMB Server

We have multiple instances of this issuebeing reported.

There have been some issues identifiedwith oplock/ leasing. Opportunistic locks ,or oplock is a client cachingmechanism that allows SMB/SMB2 clients to dynamically decide the client-side bufferingstrategy so the network traffic can be minimized. For example, aclient can buffer data for writing locally to reduce networkpackets if the client is notified there are no other processes accessing data. The same buffering can be done on reading , wheredata from a remote file is read ahead to reduce the round trips between theclient and the server if the client knows that there are no otherprocesses writing data to the file.

In SMB2.1, which is the new SMB2 dialectimplemented in Windows 7, Lease is introduced as a new type of clientcaching mechanism. It offers more flexibility for controllingclient caching and thus results in significant performance improvement in highlatency network[2]. Actually, the newly added lease types correspond tothe new oplock types introduced in Windows 7 file system [1]. SMB2.1 just gives it a different name to distinguish it from the existingoplock functionality.

After an oplock is granted to a client,if the server receives another operation that conflicts with the currentopLock held by the client, an oplock break notification will be sent to theclient. The client should send an acknowledgement for the oplockbreak to the server before the server can proceed. For example, ifa client holds a Level II oplock and another client opens the same file on theserver for writing, the level II oplock must be broken and the client cachinghas to be disabled. As there is no default value for the client oplock. Withtime the number of threads for Opplock increase in server Stack .Thiseventually causes the server to stop responding to SMB connections.

Client caching features: Oplock vs.Lease
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/openspecification/archive/2009/05/22/client-caching-features-oplock-vs-lease.aspx

SMB Opportunistic Locking Behavior
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/netmon/archive/2009/09/22/smb-opportunistic-locking-behavior.aspx

11. 2 Thanks to Seb1780:

AngryTechnician (19th March 2014), zag (20th March 2014)

DJL

Thank Post
    Seb - thanks for that.

Can you just confirm that step 1 was reverted? In which case the only change is putting the Server service in a Separate Container using Sc config lanmanserver type=own?

Did you add the leasing registry key?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL View Post
    Can you just confirm that step 1 was reverted?
    Yes, as per item 4, the changes in step 1 were all reverted.

We have added the Reg Key

DJL

Thank Post
    Thanks,

I've tried implementing the reg key and step 2 and 3 but the problem still persists for us.

Thank Post
    Happened here for the first time in a few weeks. I tried restarting the server service rather than rebooting. It wouldn't let me. I got a very slow progress bar when it tried stopping the server service and then a message to say it couldn't be stopped. I had to reboot because the everyone was in panic mode. I couldn't find anything relevant in the logs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I note that the MS case notes imply that client behaviour causes resource exhaustion on the server... This does somewhat suggest that the client side hotfix linked above may we'll deliver the solution.

It would be great to get feedback.

Thank Post
    Found that in my case, having the PDC and Infrastructure FSMO roles on the server definitely made it worse.

- For the past three weeks I have been running this "problematic" 2012 R2 DC (which doubles as the staff file server) as just a DC - no roles, no global catalogue and, importantly, no errors or misbehaviour
    - This morning I rehomed the PDC and Infrastructure roles back on to it. Immediately I started to suffer the same problems I had been with failure to serve files.
    - Re-rehomed the FSMO roles onto a new 2012 R2 DC I had brought online to replace one of our older 2008 R2 DCs, problem vanished as immediately as it had returned.

I've got a call open with my own support company and have been providing MPS reports and network traces on a regular basis. They noticed that this morning after putting the PDC and Infrastructure roles back onto the problem server that the number of errors and reconnects went up dramatically. Remove the roles, and it drops down to normal "background" levels.

Wouldn't say we are at the same point as Seb, but we're moving forwards with it. At the moment it seems I only have to remember not to put any FSMO roles on the box!
    Last edited by TheCrust; 20th March 2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Additional detail

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Watching this thread closely - have 2 x 2012 R2 file servers and 2 2012 R2 DCs. We've been running all since February without a hitch so far, hopefully staying that way.

Setup:

DFS-R in use on file shares, DeDuplication enabled. All are guests on ESXi 5.5 hosts on the VMXNET3 adapter. Haven't applied any fixes other than what come throgh from windows update. All 4 servers were in-place upgrades from 2008R2. One thing that may or may not be of consequence is the 2008R2 had the TCPChimney issue resolved.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast