+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Virtual Servers - Best Practise? in Technical; Originally Posted by twin--turbo Usualy ( on VMware and Xen , never tried on hyperV) setting up a new vMserver ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Usualy ( on VMware and Xen , never tried on hyperV) setting up a new vMserver is very very easy.

What are you using.

Rob
    I was assuming Hyper-V, but spent my first "proper" day (almost) clearing the "ICT Problems" book that dated back to Jan. I was patting myself on the back when the head pointed out a number of large jobs that hadn't made it that far .

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You can have all 3, well 2 now with 2012 licensing as its Standard or Datacentre with 2012. You need to look at what you have bought on your agreement before you can go any further really as you could be not correctly licensed.

If its 2012 you have licensed and you have got standard you are entitled to run up to 2 VMs on two CPUs with it.

This might help understand how 2012 virtualisation rights work - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...53537100,d.d2k page 6 explains how you can do what with Standard and around that page gives more info on virtualisation rights.
    Cheers, I'll look into that but it's looking as if they won't have enough licenses for more VMs.

Thanks for all the informative replies, folks.
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 8th October 2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Smiley typo

Thank Post
    Well whichever it is somone can give you a 5 second build a server tutorial

I can do vMware, and Xen.

Rob

Thank Post
    I thought the days of not multi rolling servers had long since gone with the advent of server 2000, and I have been running networks in schools, unis, colleges and businesses since NT3.1 when multi rolling was not so good! But these days I would not waste time or licences on running multiple server installations for the above two roles even with virtualization! Also if you feel that multiple VMs are needed because splitting up roles is paramount then ask yourself about what you are virtualizing on to! if the reason is they should not share the same server then surly they should not share the same host? unless your infrastructure is one that is fully redundant? That's not to say that single role single server is not to be done just think about the importance of the roles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    If its 2012 you have licensed and you have got standard you are entitled to run up to 2 VMs on two CPUs with it.
    Just as an additional to what john has already said. Thats 2VMs and 2 CPUs per 2012 server (standard) license (enterprise is just gogogo for VMs). So if you have a 2012 standard licence that is currently supporting a host with 2 CPUs then it can have 2VMs (thats windows server VMs - you could have another dozen linux ones if you so wish). If you have an additional licensed 2012 server sat around then virtualise that one and transfer the license to your host - now you can have 4VMs and 4 CPUs on that 2012 server (magically transforming your single extra physical server server into 2 VMs).

It does depend how many 2012 licenses you have purchased (you might have 2 licenses already but only 3 VMs so you are covered for another VM etc).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information