+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Creating 'All Programs' using GPO in Technical; Hi, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with something i cant work out. I ...

Thank Post

Creating 'All Programs' using GPO

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with something i cant work out. I am trying to create a program set list that gets shown in the 'All Programs' menu when users log on. I need each subject to have its own area on the list that will house the relevant software shortcuts. I also need different user types so see different menus e.g. staff to have one that only they can see for things like SIMS etc. In addition to this, not all software will be installed on all machines around site so i don't want shortcuts to be visable if the software itself is not installed on that particular machine.

I am sure you can do this with GPO's but just need a pointer as to where to start.

Many Thanks

Mik

P.S. sorry if my explanation is a bit rubbish and let me know if you do not understand what im saying :-)

Thank Post
    redirected start menus set one up how you want it for say staff they sue folder redirection to get them to use it

Thank Post
    Thanks.

How do i make it so that the Shortcut will only display if the software is installed. I have the situation where if i have some french software only installed on the french classrooms i do not want the icon displaying in the english rooms as it would just come up as a missing shorcut.

Cheers

Mik

Thank Post
    I've struggled with that for a long time GPP shortcut creation and then GPP file copy for shortcuts and use the GPP options for item level targeting. They worked but GPP shortcut creation added 10 seconds onto the login and GPP file creation added 5 seconds. In the end I figured a few invalid shortcuts was better than 5 seconds on every login and I'm just in the process of going back to redirected Start Menu

Thank Post
    Could you not simply set up a GPO for each room / subject and have it point to a redirected menu for that room / subject ?

Depending how easy / complicated your AD structure and imaging is (ie generic), you might need to consider bringing loopback and system variables in to the GPO.
    All in, theres no reason why you cant then specify a start menu for both staff and students for each room / subject in the school.

Thank Post
    Le EDIT: sorry, I've been translating all night...

We manage that through a single GPO here, but we've also enabled ABE on the file server and then configured the permissions such that e.g. only the security group for staff members has access to the "Staff Tools" folder etc. You can use that to configure a custom menu for all user groups. In this way, the librarian is the only one who can see the "Library Tools" folder, which contains shortcuts to things like Heritage and her beloved CorelDraw 7 (local installation, I could never get her to see the light)... :P
    Last edited by Ephelyon; 20th October 2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Wrong language!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread