+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Sending messages across the network. in Technical; Hi all, not sure if this is the right place for this post: Does anyone know of a free program ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    52
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Sending messages across the network.

    Hi all,
    not sure if this is the right place for this post:

    Does anyone know of a free program so that people (mainly office staff) can send messages to groups of users or individuals across a domain/network?

    We have server 2012 and Win 7 enterprise on the PCs.

  2. #2
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,436
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 279 Times in 246 Posts
    Rep Power
    79
    Don't know how good they are, but a quick Google found these:

    Squiggle - A free open source LAN Messenger - Home

    LAN Messenger - Home

    And also a topic on Spiceworks about it here >> Free Lan Messaging Software. - Spiceworks

  3. #3

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Thank Post
    958
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    Why not email?

    (probably not relevant if students don't have email)

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    52
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Don't know how good they are, but a quick Google found these:

    Squiggle - A free open source LAN Messenger - Home

    LAN Messenger - Home

    And also a topic on Spiceworks about it here >> Free Lan Messaging Software. - Spiceworks

    Ok thanks I'll give them a try.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    52
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Why not email?

    (probably not relevant if students don't have email)
    Its only for staff, but emails no good as it needs to be something that is instant, eg; 'The football tournament's cancelled because of rain'. Staff are only likely to check email first or last thing in the day at best.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    416
    Thank Post
    200
    Thanked 35 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    We use Winsent messenger - really good. One person sends the message - goes to all logged on PCs. If anyone wants to send a message, they call her.
    You can also send messages to individuals by username, but not a function we use it for. We use it for exactly what you just said.

  7. #7

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Thank Post
    958
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfield-64 View Post
    Its only for staff, but emails no good as it needs to be something that is instant, eg; 'The football tournament's cancelled because of rain'. Staff are only likely to check email first or last thing in the day at best.
    Ah, fair enough. When we have an urgent message we put it on our intranet page in big red letters, FWIW - but that may not be ideal if you want office staff sending the message out.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    52
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Novalee View Post
    We use Winsent messenger - really good. One person sends the message - goes to all logged on PCs. If anyone wants to send a message, they call her.
    You can also send messages to individuals by username, but not a function we use it for. We use it for exactly what you just said.
    Thanks, I'll give that a go to.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 29th September 2010, 05:21 PM
  2. Enabling macros across the network
    By silver in forum Office Software
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 3rd April 2009, 01:11 PM
  3. Copying VMWare images across the network
    By wesleyw in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12th March 2009, 10:03 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7th December 2006, 11:08 AM
  5. Updating Smartboard software across the network
    By tosca925 in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th June 2006, 08:37 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •