+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Old server has been Virtualised onto 2012 - Is this common? in Technical; as others have said it comes down to what the school actually were told was going to happen. Nothing wrong ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    as others have said it comes down to what the school actually were told was going to happen. Nothing wrong with using legacy servers in the virtual world. I mean I have a client still using a SCO unix 5.0 system which was installed circa 1995/6. I have seeb very large orgs still using Windows 3.0 machines.

Whether as you state it was the best idea to just virtualise vs rebuild. It probably sounds better to rebuild but 1 days install to virtualise a Server vs 3/4 days to migrate correctly could of been a few k depending on the installers.

Thank Post
    Which is the point I have been trying to get across, what was the support company asked to do.....
    I am not saying what is the correct thing to do, but if the company has done what was asked.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    Which is the point I have been trying to get across, what was the support company asked to do.....
    I am not saying what is the correct thing to do, but if the company has done what was asked.
    Well in that case its find any quotes provided and see what is specced out.

Thank Post
    is this a single server school?

If it is a single server school and they had an old server that was on its last legs they should have set up the new server with a new OS and set that box up as a nice new DC. You now have limited options on the new box.

Thank Post
    I have now found out that the school paid approx 5k to have their domain migrated to a "2008/2012" domain. The school also requested that the server be futureproofed as much as possible.
    The school believe this server is the finished article so would not have questioned the people who installed it had it not have been pointed out to the head that it isn't what they have asked for.
    For that price too, I would expect a brand new server, brand new domain and to have the clients set up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phill79 View Post
    I have now found out that the school paid approx 5k to have their domain migrated to a "2008/2012" domain. The school also requested that the server be futureproofed as much as possible.
    The school believe this server is the finished article so would not have questioned the people who installed it had it not have been pointed out to the head that it isn't what they have asked for.
    For that price too, I would expect a brand new server, brand new domain and to have the clients set up.
    Ouch. So what is happening now?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Ouch. So what is happening now?
    I have asked them to check with the people who installed it whether or not it is finished.

Thank Post
    I take it the 5K was also for hardware along with OS + install costs.

Out of interest what server did they get?

Thank Post
    5K sounds about right for a migration (not a new domain but migration from 2003 to 2008R2 or 2012 as a minimum).

But to be honest depending on the spec of the box that could be 90% of the money.

EDIT: as well as what the school have asked for, you will also have to check what the company have put in the quote/spec.

It may well be a sales guy has turned up said you want a new server, how much you want to spend? 5K ok here you go this is what we will do A B C (although they actually want X Y Z etc).

So technically the company could have done what it quoted to do, but the school doesn't actually want what they have quoted on - which actually leaves the blame at the school/person who signed it off.
    Last edited by glennda; 18th September 2013 at 04:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I take it the 5K was also for hardware along with OS + install costs.

Out of interest what server did they get?
    Yes, it was for the hardware as well. The hardware is: HP ML350 2.4ghz 4 core, 16gb RAM, a 300gb and a 600gb SFF drive. That was about 3k and 2k for the commissioning.

OS and CALs was in addition to the above, those added up to about 900 with all the CALs.
    Last edited by phill79; 18th September 2013 at 06:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    is this a single server school?

If it is a single server school and they had an old server that was on its last legs they should have set up the new server with a new OS and set that box up as a nice new DC. You now have limited options on the new box.
    Agree. For the money they paid they should expect a new server and OS.

JDS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phill79 View Post
    Yes, it was for the hardware as well. The hardware is: HP ML350 2.4ghz 4 core, 16gb RAM, a 300gb and a 600gb SFF drive. That was about 3k and 2k for the commissioning.
    OS and CALs was in addition to the above, those added up to about 900 with all the CALs.
    Disgraceful.

By "commissioning" they mean VM'ing the old 2003 DC onto a 2012 box? Two thousand pounds?

It's maximum a days work - and I've done similar many times.

At most two days, and only if you're happy paying the guys top dollar at 125/h to sit around watching things copy.

Sorry but this is overpriced work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12