+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Weird DNS issue relating to in Technical; Hey folks, been a while since I've posted at Edugeek. been keeping my head down following some big projects here ...
    Thank Post

Weird DNS issue relating to

Hey folks,

been a while since I've posted at Edugeek. been keeping my head down following some big projects here at teh school.

Long story short...

We've moved from CC3 to a vanilla network, with Server 2012 running our AD and DNS. Bar the usual migration niggles, I've got one problem which eludes me...

None of our workstations can playback any content on Channel 4OD (When the Flash player window appears after clicking play, and message appears - Error. An error has occurred trying to play the chosen item). BBC Iplayer, STV Player (up here in Scotland) and ITV player all work without issue. At first, following some tech emails with Channel 4OD support, it was suspected that it was a flash player issue, C4OD mentioned that a recent update to Flash affected DRM. However, following many beta installs and downgrades of Flash players, testing on different internet connections and configurations, I've finally established that our internal DNS may be causing a problem.

How I came to this was when I first thought that maybe C4OD content delivery servers were maybe blocking connections or traffic from our Ip addresses, and I was generating diagnostics info for this purpose. It wasn't until I was playing about with some DNS setting on the workstations where I realise there may be a problem there. So, in our set up here, DHCP sets the Pri and Sec DNS as the PDC and BDC. Our DNS servers are set up as forwarders (which I have tried public google servers and our ISP assigned, I've even tried entering our routers (which are DNS proxies)without success).

What leads me to believe that our internal DNS is at fault is that, on any station, if I set the DNS server manually (say to one of our internal routers) C4OD works perfectly. But when it's pointed at our internal DNS, I get the error aforementioned.

The really strange thing is that, as far as I am aware, it only affects the Channel 4 OD site. I mean, the site loads find with no dramas, just teh streaming media won;t play.

This is a real head-scratcher for me. Has anyone encountered anything similar, or can point me in the right direction to diagnose this issue.

As always folks, any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

KR

Jay

Thank Post
    No takers? :'(

Thank Post
    Is scavenging correctly set on your DNS servers? I had a recent issue with a piece of software that was diagnosed as scavenging not being set on the Server/Domain/Forest by fellow edugeekers. Turns out scavenging was not set on either the Server or the Domain.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread