+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Stop Students using inappropriate words for passwords in Technical; Hi Does anyone know how to stop students using inappropriate words for passwords? I have just started allowing students to ...

Thank Post

Stop Students using inappropriate words for passwords

Hi
    Does anyone know how to stop students using inappropriate words for passwords?
    I have just started allowing students to change their passwords by changing the settings in GPO to allow the option on Alt+Ctrl+Del but can't find any settings for how to block words.
    We use Netcare Solution Suite 1.0.36 on Server 2012.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is that a concern? Noone can see the passwords including yourself or anyone else, they pose no threat and shouldn't be provided to anyone.

3. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Roberto (6th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Well its just not good is it. some kids will fall out with someone and change their own password to *insertinapropriatewordhere* or something. It will then become know to a few and create problems.
    Last edited by john; 6th September 2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: We get what you mean no need to swear in that post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think you're overcomplicating it for no reason. Having their password set to something like that is no different to just thinking it - noone knows they're thinking it, unless they tell them. Noone knows that's their password, unless they tell them. There's no built in method of denying words anyway other than username, password etc but no doubt there's some 3rd party stuff that will handle it.

Thank Post
    Thanks, you raise some good points there. I hope I can convince our Deputy Head of this.

Thank Post
    Can't believe I am reading this, maybe you should be educating your users about not sharing passwords and then it doesn't matter what is it set to because they will then know not to share their password. Quite simple really.

Thank Post
    Its not about sharing passwords, its about being able to have their own password which I disabled a couple of years ago as it gave me so much hassle. The problem as you know with children having their own passwords and changing them often is that I am the one who has to sort it out when they have forgotten it. Its not like when they are online and have an automated password recovery option to press!

Thank Post
    That's a pastoral rather than a technical issue...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't under stand the forgotten password issue they must use it every other day.

Thank Post
    Believe me its not! Person in charge of pastoral duties does not sort out forgotten passwords, its a technician problem. Surely I am not the only one with this issue of forgotten passwords.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    I don't under stand the forgotten password issue they must use it every other day.
    They have an ICT lesson once a week, they may logon at other times such as lunchtime computer club, booster sessions etc. but if they change their password often, ie; best friend's name (which can change daily!) its no wonder they forget it, or forget how to spell it!

Thank Post
    There are ways to enable teachers to reset student passwords. Sending students out of lesson to IT to have their password reset is itself an issue. Students quickly realize if they cannot logon they cant do any work and so 10 minutes out of lesson to sort it out is a trick they pickup to dodge working.

The business about censored passwords is also laughable. If a child writes "the head of Maths is a c0ck" on their text book, do you invest time and money to prevent ink sticking on the book or do you address this differently? Sound to be like teaching and learning make IT bend to their way of working rather than adapting teaching and learning around technology.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's a few things you can do to push this onto staff - users of the likes of Impero and what not will already be aware of what can be done, but you could also allow the basic AD user tool to be installed on teacher PCs for teacher use only, so they can have access to change the pass of children. One good thing about doing this, and oft-discussed here is that technicians rarely know who the kids are (unless they're pains in the backsides!) so we can't verify their identity. Their teachers however can, therefore onus on changing passwords should really be theirs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfield-64 View Post
    They have an ICT lesson once a week, they may logon at other times such as lunchtime computer club, booster sessions etc. but if they change their password often, ie; best friend's name (which can change daily!) its no wonder they forget it, or forget how to spell it!
    A minimum password age requirement would prevent them changing it too often.

Thank Post
    There are also free self-service password reset solutions out there. It sounds like this is a primary school though?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast