+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, User account and password migration to new 2012 domain in Technical; Hi guys, We're moving from a WS2003 domain to a WS2012 domain over the summer (brand new domain to avoid ...
    Thank Post

User account and password migration to new 2012 domain

Hi guys,

We're moving from a WS2003 domain to a WS2012 domain over the summer (brand new domain to avoid any glitched caused by the alternate path of removing CC3, then upgrading to 2012).

Is there a way to migrate user accounts with passwords from 2003 to 2012? I've looked at ADMT 3.2, but that doesn't work on 2012, and the 'recommended solution' of spinning up a 2008 R2 DC, lowering the functional level and going from there is a bit convoluted, and I'd like to see if there are any other options available. I've also tried Sys-Manage Copyright2, but that just crashes every time I try to actually migrate anything!

(A two-way trust exists between the two domains, and they can talk to each other fine)

Thank Post
    I'm going to be in the same boat in a weeks time. Same setup as above but moving from 2008 R2 to a fresh domain on 2012. Changing from domain of just "school" to "school".local as well.

3. Thanks to ninjabeaver from:

FishCustard (7th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver View Post
    I'm going to be in the same boat in a weeks time. Same setup as above but moving from 2008 R2 to a fresh domain on 2012. Changing from domain of just "school" to "school".local as well.
    Trying to find the thread from yesterday about this, but it's recommended not to use .local as if you ever add any Apple gear on, it causes issues, and that using something along the lines of .internal is a better bet. Just before you go down that route.

5. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Thank Post
    There are a million tools to export and import users, bulk update home directories and the like. I like Active User Manager, Wisesoft Bulk AD users and csvde (all free).

However passwords is another matter. They are encrypted for good reason.

7. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the tool recommendations anyway @IrritableTech, I may well use one to grab the users and groups (although the group structure is so tangled I'll probably start again anyway). I've decided to just generate new passwords for everyone - exporting them is turning out to be far more hassle than it's worth.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Trying to find the thread from yesterday about this, but it's recommended not to use .local as if you ever add any Apple gear on, it causes issues, and that using something along the lines of .internal is a better bet. Just before you go down that route.
    Actually .internal is worse because it is not a reserved root. internal.myschool.sch.uk or <somesubdomainwhichneverexistsontheinternet>.mysch ool.sch.uk is the correct way to do it.

Having said that, .local never caused any problems in our environment.
    Last edited by ChrisMiles; 8th July 2013 at 11:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    Actually .internal is worse because it is not a reserved root. internal.myschool.sch.uk or <somesubdomainwhichneverexistsontheinternet>.mysch ool.sch.uk is the correct way to do it.

Having said that, .local never caused any problems in our environment.
    That's why I was trying to find the thread from the previous day discussing it all. I've inherited a .school internal domain system, but want to move to the (as you point out) sudomain.school.county.sch.uk method instead. I know that others have experienced difficulties when setting up Apple gear as they default to macname.local as their local addresses etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread