+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2012 Thread, KMS 2012 Questions in Technical; Hi, I've got a 2008R2 Functional Level AD Forest with a single domain in it - hub and spoke. 20 ...

Thank Post

KMS 2012 Questions

Hi,

I've got a 2008R2 Functional Level AD Forest with a single domain in it - hub and spoke. 20 AD sites, each with their own DC connecting back to a Data Centre across 10meg FD lines.

I need to add a KMS Server into this domain, so I've chosen to add a 2012 Server KMS box. We've got an EA with Micro$oft, so there are no worries with regards to software keys etc.

Having never set a KMS up before, I've got a few questions which I'm hopeful that you guys can answer.

1) I have entered the KMS Host key into the 2012 box no problems. Am I correct in assuming that the KMS server will now download and store our entire licencing entitlements from MS so that I don't have to enter the Various workstation and server Keys into the KMS? Also, am I correct in thinking that each KMS Client will then locate the KMS Server from the SRV record held in DNS?

2) Can an Office KMS Server and a Windows KMS Server co-exist on the same Host? If I remember correctly, both types of KMS Server use the same TCP Port. Is it just a matter of changing the port number within one of the applications and also its SRV record in DNS?

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Hello @revingtosh ,
    KMS does not download all of your licenses from MS. The machines that are already activated will remain activated if they have a valid key / OEM activated.
    For any new installs, if you use the volume edition of windows it will have the Volume key pre-installed, with this key the OS will try to find and activate against a KMS. This is where that SRV record comes in.
    You can also change to a volume key as well. KMS Client Setup Keys

Yes you can have office and windows activations on the same server. You just have to activate the proper KMS host key.

You can check the status of your activations with slmgr.vbs

display basic info about your main kms key
    Code:
    Slmgr /dli
    display detailed info about your main kms key
    Code:
    Slmgr /dlv
    display basic info about all kms keys
    Code:
    Slmgr /dli all
    display detailed info about all keys
    Code:
    Slmgr /dlv all
    VAMT is a good tool to have as well. Introduction to VAMT 3.0

Another thing Iíve read about recently that wasnít around when I setup my KMS is active directory based activation, it may be a fit for your scenario.
    Active Directory-Based Activation Overview

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) Only works with the product family that belong to the key you entered. If you put in a Server 2012 key it will allow you to activate Windows 8 and 2012.
    2) Yes. It will just work, no need to change ports etc.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Can KMS be used on a Domain and PC setup that is not linked in anyway to the Intenet.
    We have an Isolated domain for programming and teaching networks. The reason it's isolated is so they cannot use that network to hack ouyr RM CC4 Network !

Regards
    Graham

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grazza View Post
    Hi all,

Can KMS be used on a Domain and PC setup that is not linked in anyway to the Intenet.
    We have an Isolated domain for programming and teaching networks. The reason it's isolated is so they cannot use that network to hack ouyr RM CC4 Network !

Regards
    Graham
    Yep but you need to activate the KMS server by phone.

Thank Post
    Thats great news :-) So I can active all the clients and office once I install KMS on the server.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Yes - but don't be upset when you first start and nothing activates as Win7, for example, requires 25 different clients to request activation before it will activate any client. As soon as No26 requests activation all the rest just do it. (Don't ask me why I could never find out).
    Office 2010 requires an office activation module to be loaded then 5 clients before automatic activation so I would do some reading from the microsoft site just to understand the various querks of the system.

Thank Post
    I added the KMS server role to our server and it's asking for a KMS Host Key, is this a seperate activation key just for the KMS role. If so any idea of cost?

Thank Post
    Have you got a KMS key for WS2012/2008R2? If you're using Volume Licensing you can get it from the VLSC - use that.

A Server 2012 Std key can activate Windows 8, 7 and I believe Vista too (as well as Server 2012, if you want to activate other servers via KMS). 2008R2 does 7, Vista and XP.
    Last edited by FishCustard; 26th June 2013 at 09:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FishCustard View Post
    Have you got a KMS key for WS2012/2008R2? If you're using Volume Licensing you can get it from the VLSC - use that.

A Server 2012 Std key can activate Windows 8, 7 and I believe Vista too (as well as Server 2012, if you want to activate other servers via KMS). 2008R2 does 7, Vista and XP.
    We have OVS so I have a KMS and a MAK key, but the KMS Key does not work, is the KMS Host Key different from the Server 2012 KMS Key?

Thank Post
    What error do you get when you enter the KMS key?

Thank Post
    Scrap the error, I changed the Key as we have 2 and it's now installed the role and activated (by phone).

So hopefully that should be the end of that, although I have just learned that they only want 22 clients ! Oh the Joys !

So do I use the KMS role to add the windows 7 and Office Lic to the server also?

Thank Post
    office download the tool appropriate for office 2010/2013 and feed it the key when it asks. Server 2012 with a kms key can acticate server2012/08r2/08(i think)/win7/win8/vista(i think)

Thank Post
    Can I go ever so slightly off-topic and ask about VAMT... ive installed a KMS key on my server, and VAMT, I am in the process of converting all my MAK activated clients to KMS. When I goto the "install product key" option on a number of highlighted clients, it asks me what key do I want to install. Do I select the option to "Install a KMS client key" or do I enter my KMS key in VAMT and then choose the option to select a product key to install and use that?

Whats the difference?

Thank Post
    I've been playing with VAMT today funnily enough.

I'm starting to distribute Office 2013 so was interested to see if VAMT would do away with the need for a KMS server and, sadly, it doesn't as far as I can tell. Good for distributing MAK keys though!

So I'm going to have to patch my 2008 R2 KMS servers so Windows 8, 2012 and Office 2013 can activate against them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information