+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Want to add 2012 server to a 2003 DC in Technical; Hi all, I want to add a new server 2012 to an existing 2003 DC. Do I have to run ...

Thank Post

Want to add 2012 server to a 2003 DC

Hi all, I want to add a new server 2012 to an existing 2003 DC. Do I have to run the following on the 2003 server, is so will it still fuction as normal.

Log on to the schema master as a member of the Enterprise Admins, Schema Admins, and Domain Admins groups.
    Insert the Windows Server 2008 DVD into the CD/DVD drive. Copy the content of the \sources\adprep folder to an Adprep folder on the schema master.
    Open a command prompt, and then change directories to the Adprep folder.
    At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    adprep /forestprep
    (Optional) If you plan to install a read-only domain controller (RODC) in any domain in the forest, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    adprep /rodcprep
    Allow the operation to complete, and then allow the changes to replicate throughout the forest before you prepare any domains for a domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008.

Domain Schema preparation
    After you prepare the forest, you need to prepare any domain for which you plan to install a domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008.
    Use the following procedure to prepare a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 domain for Windows Server 2008.
    Membership in Domain Admins, or equivalent, is the minimum required to complete this procedure. Review details about using the appropriate accounts and group memberships at Local and Domain Default Groups.
    To prepare a Windows 2003 domain for Windows Server 2008
    Identify the domain infrastructure operations master role holder as follows:
    In the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, right-click the domain object, click Operations Masters, and then click Infrastructure.
    Log on to the infrastructure master as a member of the Domain Admins group.
    Insert the Windows Server 2008 DVD into the CD/DVD drive. Copy the content of the \sources\adprep folder to an Adprep folder on the infrastructure master.
    Open a command prompt, and then change directories to the Adprep folder.
    Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    adprep /domainprep /gpprep
    Allow the operation to complete, and then allow the changes to replicate throughout the forest before you install a domain controller that runs Windows Server 2008.
    After the forest and domain based schema is prepared, new Windows Server 2008 based domain controllers can be added to the domain.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Only if the 2012 server is going to be set up as an additional DC or you plan to migrate DC to it in the future. For a non DC member server you don't need to worry about those commands.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    If it's just a member server, you won't need to do anything. If you plan on making 2012 another DC, you will need to update the Domain Functional Level to 2003 then update the schema. At this point you can then promote it to a DC safely.

Thank Post
    if you were going to 08/08r2 you needed to do domainprep with 2012 when you try and add it to the domain it does it for you (or at least appears to) im sure ive gone 03r2 to 2012 at least once relatively recently so it can be done

Thank Post
    Yes I want to replace the 2003 server with this one so it will become the new DC. The 2003 server is already at 2003 functionality both Domain and Forest level. when I try and raise the 2012 server I get this error.

Verification of replica failed, An active directory domain controller for the domain xxxxxxxxx cannot be contacted.

Even though I have joined this domain already, with this server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    You can't raise the functionality to 2012 as you still have a 2003 DC if that make sense. To raise to 2012, all DCs need to be running 2012.

Thank Post
    is it 2003 or 2003 r2 might be enough to kill it?

plan b

on a spare pc / something that can run a vm install server 08r2 adprep the 03 box then join the 08r2 and make it a dc

then try promoting the 2012 box

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You can't raise the functionality to 2012 as you still have a 2003 DC if that make sense. To raise to 2012, all DCs need to be running 2012.
    fair point the domain/forest functional can only be as high as the worst dc (with a minor exception regarding nt4)

Thank Post
    Let me explain again may have put it wrong.
    We have a DC running 2003 R2 server standard, this server is 7 years old now so I have bought a new HP Server installed Server 2012 on this box, joined it to the 2003 domain all good so far.
    I then added role AD DC on the 2012 server, it then asks to promote this server to a domain controller, this is when I hit the problem. In the end this will be the new DC server the old one will be trashed.

Thank Post
    what output does dcdiag give on the 03 box it might be that as is not happy in some way

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Okay, you should run through those commands you listed *before* adding the 2012 server as a domain controller.

You then need to migrate everything from the old server to new - take a couple of weeks to do this, don't rush. Give AD replication time to work between each step. Pay special attention to transfering the FSMO roles and Global Catalogue.

Once you are satisfied that everything is transferred to the new server and is running as you expect you can demote the old server to remove it as a DC. Remember to actually demote the server not just turn it off - AD will really hate that!

Once the old server is gone completely you can THEN raise the domain level up to 2012.

Hope that makes sense. I'm sure if you searched these forums you can find older posts that detail domain migration step by step.

Thank Post
    Get some DNS issues, which was supposed to be fixed by an engineer yesterday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Okay, you should run through those commands you listed *before* adding the 2012 server as a domain controller.

You then need to migrate everything from the old server to new - take a couple of weeks to do this, don't rush. Give AD replication time to work between each step. Pay special attention to transfering the FSMO roles and Global Catalogue.

Once you are satisfied that everything is transferred to the new server and is running as you expect you can demote the old server to remove it as a DC. Remember to actually demote the server not just turn it off - AD will really hate that!

Once the old server is gone completely you can THEN raise the domain level up to 2012.

Hope that makes sense. I'm sure if you searched these forums you can find older posts that detail domain migration step by step.
    How to I get it to replicate if I cant upgrade to a DC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you've run through those commands listed in your first post and joined the server to the domain then it should upgrade to a DC and start replicating automatically.

Check this link, I think it might help:
    Introducing the first Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller (Part 1 of 2) - Ask Premier Field Engineering (PFE) Platforms - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

EDIT: noticed post about DNS issues. Willing to bet this is the route cause of the problem. The ADPrep can't find the old DC details in DNS?
    Last edited by tmcd35; 12th June 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks all, the company that was supposed to have resolved the DNS issues are on-line as I type so hopefully they will resolve that part, thanks for now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread