+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Why the rubbish desktop? in Technical; To be honest doing stuff without a GUI isn't really new. Look at Exchange and Lync, loads needs to be ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest doing stuff without a GUI isn't really new. Look at Exchange and Lync, loads needs to be done in powershell that cannot be done in the GUI.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I skipped 2012 due to the bad GUI, I'm sure they will sort it out in the next version.

Thank Post
    The powershell is damn useful. I do wish though that when you maximise the powershell window it would take up the entire screen. I wish the DOS window would do that too. Similarly for the cygwin window; I think this uses the DOS window so fix one, fix both.

Thank Post
    Ive always done server management on my local machine, never dial into servers unless necessary. However, at the moment my local machine isnt actually on the domain so it's hard to manage the servers using RSAT - Once I get my domain machine back Ill be able to manage everything remotely, I installed 2012 and thought "is this an upgrade or a downgrade from 2008 R2 ?" It was slow to use, I couldn't get it working properly on VMWare ESXI, couldnt get it to work at all on KVM and then gave up... If I cant run it virtual - whats the point ??
    I did get it working on one of my desktops as a quick test, it works but I can't get used to the interface and I figure that if I have to use Server Core I may aswell use Linux.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I skipped 2012 due to the bad GUI, I'm sure they will sort it out in the next version.
    I really don't like the interface either, but you can shoehorn a start menu in there quite easily. Also there are some nice new features in Hyper-V that I wouldn't want to be without (Replication for one) which I wouldn't want to skip.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Im a fan of powershell. I can do a 35 line VBS script in one line with powershell
    by the same token you often can by using ye olde dos scripts esp if dealing with files vbs you have to jump through several hoops to do soemthing as simple as create a file or delete a file that takes no time or effort in batch.

i really must learn powershell one day i just cba sitting down and learning another scripr language with its own uniquely silly commands and syntyax

Quote Originally Posted by Modey View Post
    I really don't like the interface either, but you can shoehorn a start menu in there quite easily. Also there are some nice new features in Hyper-V that I wouldn't want to be without (Replication for one) which I wouldn't want to skip.
    ive found you can do virtualy everything from server manager anyway and seldom need metro

Thank Post
    I thought that it was really funny that you had Firefox open on Linux hacks! lol
    Say it all really.
    Alan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    The powershell is damn useful. I do wish though that when you maximise the powershell window it would take up the entire screen. I wish the DOS window would do that too. Similarly for the cygwin window; I think this uses the DOS window so fix one, fix both.
    You can make a powershell or cmd window bigger by typing the following command

mode con cols=150

Change the number to suit your own preferences, 150 seems to fill up a 1280x1024 screen.

9. 3 Thanks to Norphy:

sonofsanta (4th June 2013), unixman_again (4th June 2013), zag (10th June 2013)

Thank Post
    If you can get over the silly interface there are a lot of benefits:
    15/20 percent more efficient
    better hyper-v features such as live migration
    de-duplication built-in
    direct access and RD gateway supposedly a lot easier to setup

going to upgrade all our servers and learn powershell as that seems to be the way it is going - a lot of cmdlets available already

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    If you can get over the silly interface there are a lot of benefits:
    15/20 percent more efficient
    better hyper-v features such as live migration
    de-duplication built-in
    direct access and RD gateway supposedly a lot easier to setup

going to upgrade all our servers and learn powershell as that seems to be the way it is going - a lot of cmdlets available already
    if direct access is easier in 2012 i hate to think how hard it is in 08r2 i just cant get it to work even in a test environment

12. Thanks to sted from:

zag (4th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    You can make a powershell or cmd window bigger by typing the following command

mode con cols=150

Change the number to suit your own preferences, 150 seems to fill up a 1280x1024 screen.
    I never knew that - every day is a school day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    I never knew that
    If you create a PowerShell profile, you can make the window size permanent (among many other things).

Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1 (%UserProfile%\Documents\WindowsPowerShell)
    Code:
    $Shell = $Host.UI.RawUI
    $size = $Shell.WindowSize
    $size.width=120
    $size.height=50

$Shell.WindowSize = $size
    $size = $Shell.BufferSize
    $size.width=120
    $size.height=6000
    $Shell.BufferSize = $size

$shell.BackgroundColor = "DarkMagenta"
    $shell.ForegroundColor = "DarkYellow"

15. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

sonofsanta (4th June 2013), unixman_again (4th June 2013), zag (10th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I thought it was obvious that the GUI in 2012 is designed so if you had a Windows 8 Pro Tablet, you can carry your server in your hands with a RDP connection secured with a certificate. (though AD is a pain in the arse... don't realize how small that text is, but apparently we are suppose to use ADAC, ha, Microsoft's little joke there.)

If you have a desktop machine, obviously RSAT it that's just sense.

I find the interface annoying at first, (needed to be at least 18 years or older to enter the room I was in), but to be fair, now i'm used to it, i actually get things done quicker than I did in previous server versions. A good setup for me is to have all but one server running core edition and that one server with the GUI I can remote in and control all servers from it. Alternatively, if you prefer to have core throughout, Windows 8 RSAT and you are laughing, also management tools for things like exchange etc.

Powershell is unavoidable, need to get on that bandwagon soon if you haven't already. Just see it as another thing you can have running on your screen which makes people leave you alone, that along side of Resource Monitor and your sorted.

Thank Post
    I must agree i love server 2012 core as well, so many benefits. For those of you who still want the admin tools why dont you just install the minimal GUI??
    When you login you still just get the command prompt like core but you can call servermanager and lots of other mmc's

To install it on core open powershell and type install-windowsfeature server-gui-mgmt-infra

To uninstall the gui from the full version and run minimal GUI open powershell and run uninstall-windowsfeature server-gui-shell

ps i am also a fan of powershell, pretty much all of our scripts are written in powershell these days and i find myself doing some tasks in powershell as its quicker than the GUI once you know the command.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One reason to love 2012 (and w8 as well probably).

Automatic ISO mounting.

Only implemented ten years after everyone else but oh so useful

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123