+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Metro in Server 2012 in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd Never used it. Windows desktop environment isn't customisable at all compared to the others I listed. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Never used it. Windows desktop environment isn't customisable at all compared to the others I listed. Just simple things like adding more desktops seems to be an absolute no go on any ms windows versions I've tried.
    Finestra Virtual Desktops for Windows have been around for a while now, available from the Guys at CodePlex (hosted by MS) as a free, opensource plugin/add-on... Just an example.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Never used it.
    Ash is the window manager that comes with ChromeOS. I can't believe you have never used a Chromebook before? I thought your school had lots of them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Ash is the window manager that comes with ChromeOS. I can't believe you have never used a Chromebook before? I thought your school had lots of them?
    Kids bring them in. We don't own any. Besides chrome books are locked down browsers and are only desktop environments in name.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forrager View Post
    Finestra Virtual Desktops for Windows have been around for a while now, available from the Guys at CodePlex (hosted by MS) as a free, opensource plugin/add-on... Just an example.
    OK. Now can I have a few more start menus so they read left to right. On the top of course because I tend to read left to right going downwards. A proper level of transparency would be good along with a customisable right click so I can run useful scripts on my files. When I close windows I'd like to see them disappearing in a ball of flame but when I minimise them I want white smoke. Oh and can I at least have ssh sftp built into explorer. On weekends I want the desktop to behave like osx but it can revert back on Monday.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Besides chromebooks are locked down browsers and are only desktop environments in name.
    I would have agreed with you prior to Chrome OS 19, but not any more. It has a desktop, taskbar, file manager, image viewer, media player, Windows 7-style jump lists and window snapping, OS X-style app launcher and terminal.

Compared to Windows (or even Linux distros like Slax), Chrome OS is very basic.

Thank Post
    OK. Now can I have a few more start menus so they read left to right. On the top of course because I tend to read left to right going downwards. A proper level of transparency would be good along with a customisable right click so I can run useful scripts on my files. When I close windows I'd like to see them disappearing in a ball of flame but when I minimise them I want white smoke. Oh and can I at least have ssh sftp built into explorer. On weekends I want the desktop to behave like osx but it can revert back on Monday.
    Yes of course you can... when you are using your own equipment :O) you can do whatever you wish, as do I.

Everything on your list started life outside of the OOB kernel and was added in over time by community acceptance and talented developers mainly coding features for personal benefit and or financial gain - Precisely why there are so many flavours!

MS products are inherently capable of supporting the same feature sets but unless mainstream corporates want flaming smoke, I doubt very much whether they would consider coding even so much as a full stop.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jammmie999 View Post
    I don't think anyone likes it at first, and that is the problem. I just don't understand why people are settling with it, and putting up with it. Why not hold back at Win 7 & Server 08R2, or Ubuntu? Consumers don't seem to like metro, and that is a problem for M$, and very evident in there sales figures, Windows 'Blue'/9 needs to shape up and address these problems, or M$ will loose their already falling market share to the likes of Apple, and Linux. Rant over!
    agh, people still actually use the term M$!!!

Shock horror a company trying to make money, it's not like Apple use to slap a 75% markup on their iphones...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123