+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 - RDS Cals in Technical; Hello everyone, I have a customer with 25 computers/users in company. They currently don't have any server on site. They ...

Thank Post

Server 2012 - RDS Cals

Hello everyone,
    I have a customer with 25 computers/users in company. They currently don't have any server on site. They want to run their accounting application on the server. Users will be connecting to server using Remote desktop or RemoteApp (from local network ONLY) to work with this accounting application. I plan do deploy Server 2012. As you probably know you can't run RD Services on DC anymore, so two Server 2012 installations are needed. One for DC and other for RDS. The server with RDS role would be virtual machine.
    My question is regarding licenses:
    What licences do i need ? I understand that Server 2012 is per-processor licensed and is valid for physical and two virtual machine installations. So if i have one processor, i only need one license for my planned DC and RDS server ?
    What about other CALS ? Computers will not be joined to domain (customer request), they only need remote desktop access. Do i need 25 standard user cals + 25 RD cals, or only 25 RD cals ? I persume both.
    Regards,
    Joe

Thank Post
    Both

Im becoming REALLY disillusioned by Microsoft, not only the pricing, but the overall direction their Desktop & Server have taken,

Case in point, not happy with hampering productivity in Windows 8 with Modern GUI, they apply the same arsebackwards mentality to the server arm as well.

Add to that the lack of ANY CALS with their server product....

Then factor in no SBS, and no Exchange in its replacement, Essentials...but at least they give you 25 user access in that....

With most places i deal with running on the smell of an oily rag, its increasingly hard to justify the purchase of MS products....let alone navigating the licensing quagmire.
    If Linux doesnt smell this and make more of an effort to capture what is becoming a rapidly disgruntled MS playground, then i'd be surprised.

Thank Post
    I can feel your pain Canceling SBS, was slap in the face for all small MS partners. What about Server 2008 R2 ? RD Services are allowed on DC. So i only need one server (no VMs) and 5 user CALs less than server 2012 ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread