+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, how to redirect desktop in Technical; running Win Server 2012 Standard . . . have about 50 student users, one for each classroom . . . ...

Thank Post

how to redirect desktop

running Win Server 2012 Standard . . . have about 50 student users, one for each classroom . . . . recently I made some changes on the file server, basically separating the student storage folder and the staff storage folder . . . . "My Documents" maps correctly, but the desktop doesn't and it is VERY inconsistent. I have many examples, but suffice it to say, all of the classroom accounts are in the same OU, all clients are running the same OS (XP Pro). It seems to be a permission issue, but I don't see any consistency when doing a stare-and-compare between the ones that work and the ones that don't Staff redirects are running good for both desktop and docs. Of course all the changes I made were to the student OU. I have run MANY restarts and gpupdate /force maneuvers but still some work and some don't Other than stare-and-compare, is there a tool in the 2012 beast that will make this any less painful?

Thank Post
    How did you copy/move the data? Have the permissions moved correctly?

Also, are you using DFS namespaces? If so, are the namespace shares using ABE?

Oh one more thing, are your clients using any 'offline files' settings for shares they map to?

Thank Post
    offline files = no

DFS = no

copied by drag and drop

the crazy thing is that the documents seem to be consistently okay but the desktop is the bugger

too late of course but how should i have moved the files

Thank Post
    Did you remove the permissions before moving the files to a new location on the server ???

Thank Post
    GordyTech,

What are your clients? Windows 7 SP1? The way I see it, if you login as the same user and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, it can't be permissions, because it would never work full stop. Unless you are getting temporary user logins which gives the illusion of it working, when it actually isn't, of which your profiles might be struggling a little also.

Thank Post
    Had no end of problems with XP folder redirection. This seems to be to do with the way XP processes drive mapping and the re-direction policy. If you use Win 7 you can simply redirect to say H:\Desktop but XP requires you use the full UNC path - which can be a pain if you house your home folders on multiple servers.

Under XP if you map to H:\Desktop you are told H:\ is not available - this seems to be because this policy is processed before AD maps the homedrive
    Under Windows 7 the AD part apparently completes before the GPO kicks in - therefore the H:\ drive is available and everything works. We have to get round the XP issue by using the advanced redirection settings, creating a group for each home drive, populating the users from that drive into their respective group then redirection to

\\Domainname\dfsshare\users\Usershare\%username%\D esktop

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread