+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Hyper-V Replica in Technical; Originally Posted by chrisrowlands I have it replicating everything but the media server and the backup servers and it works ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrowlands View Post
    I have it replicating everything but the media server and the backup servers and it works well.

To be fair this is edugeek Arguably though lots of people are saying that Hyper-V has now overtaken VMware but I don't want to start a Apple vs Android type discussion
    That is true, but there is lots of people here who work in industry. If I am honest i would rather use open source virtulisation than Hyper-v something like cloud stack etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Looks like I was getting Hyper-V Replica confused with the arguably more useful Hyper-V over SMB 3:

Deploy Hyper-V over SMB

Depending on your environment this could well be a better solution than replicating snapshots between servers every 5 minutes. The VM's are always live and up to date, as they would be in a SAN environment, and you don't need the hard drives space on all hosts in the cluster to store the replicated data - just one centrallised location that all hosts can see and access.
    Just set this up on a properly cobbled together test environment (Dell SC440, Dell Optiplex 745 and and old Gigabyte motherboard with various bits plugged in!). Had two hypervisors in a cluster using the third "server" as shared storage using Server 2012 Storage Spaces and SMB shares.
    Seems to work pretty well. I can live migrate the VMs across no trouble and physically pulling the plug on one hypervisor causes the VMs to migrate automatically.

So technically I've got high availability without a SAN! Can't really comment on the speed of it all (although it does only take seconds to perform a migration) or how well it would scale up into a production environment with proper DR and all the rest but it's an interesting start.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12