+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2012 Thread, Server 2012 breaking folder redirection & libraries for new profiles in Technical; This is a weird one. One of our file servers fell over last week (site power outage, borked its OS ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Server 2012 breaking folder redirection & libraries for new profiles

This is a weird one.

One of our file servers fell over last week (site power outage, borked its OS install) so when we rebuilt we did so to 2012, as we were about to put a new 2012 file server in place anyway. We have three file servers, two live and one backup, and we use DFS targets so everything points at \\domain.local\files\SHARE.

If the Server 2012 share is used, folder redirection breaks and knackers the libraries as well.

If Redirected Favourites is set to Move the contents of Favourites to the new location, the Application log has an error
    Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Favorites" to "\\domain.local\files\2011\home\win7student\Favour ites".
    Redirection options=0x1001.
    The following error occurred: "Failed to copy files from "C:\Users\win7student\Favorites" to "\\domain.local\files\2011\home\win7student\Favour ites"".
    Error details: "Cannot create a file when that file already exists.".
    Which is new - that checkbox has always been checked, and it's never been an issue. Other folders redirect as normal.

Opening the user root then displays an icon for the desktop (same for everyone), Documents (labelled with username), a Favourites folder (that the user does not have permission to view, because it is the local C:\Users\%username%\Favourites) and 4 blank icons that do nothing, although I know they are meant to be Videos, Pictures, Music and Downloads. If I uncheck the box above, I get 5 blank icons, the extra being another Favourites.

Using the Libraries in the folder tree on the left of any explorer window, Documents works, but Pictures, Music & Videos all say no folders are included.

Internet Explorer also refuses to read any favourites from the redirected location.

If, in AD, I change the user from \\domain.local\files\home (currently targeted at the 2012 server) to \\2k8FS.domain.local\home (i.e. manually point it at the backup server running 2008R2) it all works fine. The problem only occurs on a fresh user profile - profiles that were created before the 2012 install went live are fine, and if I clear a profile out, point hmdir at the 2008R2 server, log in to create the profile then move back to the DFS target, it's all fine.

So something specifically related to Server 2012 hosting the home directory at point of profile creation is knackering this whole thing. Anyone got any clues? :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nevermind, found it - don't enable access-based enumeration on your shares, it will give you problems. Unticking this new option has restored normal working service.

Now, if only I could fix server manager to stop being horrible, and have all the MMC snap ins I need to administer the server, and have the ability to arrange multiple windows in my Windows OS...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    So is the 2012 a DC? If yes, I presume you updated the schema to 56 as required? And what are your current domain/forest functional levels?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread