Upgrade to server 2008 x64 using same hardware
We're planning to upgrade our existing network infrastructure (2 X 2003 32 bit DCs) to 2008 x64 over the summer. Obviously because this is cross-architecture we need to reinstall the OS but I need to do this in a way I can reuse the existing servers.
My plan so far is as follows:
- Transfer all FSMO roles from current forest root to users server
- Wait for replication to make sure all DNS records etc have migrated
- Demote existing forest root
- Run adprep etc against users server in preparation for 2008
- Reinstall OS on forest root with server 2008 x64
- Promote new FR as DC
- Transfer FSMO roles back to FR Server
- Demote users server
- Reinstall OS on FR server
- Promote users server as DC and install DNS etc
- Wait for replication to occur then perform DCDiag
Can anyone see any potential problems with the above, or have any experience of a similar migration?
Also, any ideas how I can reinstate the shares on the servers after the migration? The data will still be there because its on a separate disk.