Print Migrator 3.1
Anyone used this to move printers from 2003 to server 2008? I can't see support for 2008 mentioned anywhere and the new print migrate tool is build into 2008 R2 but I can't find anything for 2008.
Am I missing something?
If I remember correctly you don't need it at all if you've got 2k8 or Vista/7 machines as they can pull all the info from XP/2003 machines. I've certainly used Vista to migrate printers from retired XP machines to new XP machines without putting anything extra on the client...
I can see an option to import printers from a file in the 2008 management console but how do I export them on the 2003 box.
Sorted, you have to add the other server into the 2008 console I didn't know you could do that.
1. Click on Server Manager
2. Scroll down to Roles Summary and click on Add Roles
3. Check the box for Print Services and follow the wizard to install
4. After it is installed, Click Start > Administrative Tools > Print Management
5. Expand the tree, then right click on Print Servers and click on Add/Remove Servers
6. Enter the name of the print server you want to migrate the printers off of and select Add to List, then click Apply
7. Right Click on that Printer in the tree and select Export Printers to a File and save that file on your desktop
8. After the export is complete, right click on your new server in the tree
9. Select Import Printer from a File, and select the export from your desktop
10. Follow the wizard and you are done!