Windows 2008 Slow
Hi all i am having a problem with a new 2008 server we had installed and setup a month ago i will try to give as much information as i can but if i have left anything out please feel free to point it out to me.
The server is a quad core xeon with 4gb RAM 2*250gb sata mirrored os partition,and 4*1TB SAS drives setup as a 2.75 ish Raid 5 system we have moved all our users folders curriculum and admin ( we have 2 domains on the same network segment)2 1gb NICS teamed .The server is setup as a file server the other servers are all 2003 machines split with various roles we do plan to flatten the network over the summer but previous to this our only real issue was space and the logical thing to do was to buy a big file server with the facility to extend storage over the summer.
Now the problem we have is that some mappings(done via batch scripts,permissions checked and fine) to the shares are not connecting (eg if i set a map to \\server\shared\maths it connects to \\server\ shared) and AD queries to add user permissions to indivdual folders are painfully slow,if i add permissions via another server the ad queries are instant though eg from another server just unc to the main share and then right click add.
I hope this makes sense,i had a support guy look at it today and he mentioned that ipv6 was setup and this could cause unnecessary networjk traffic ,this has been disabled now and i have logged in to reboot the server and tried the ad queriy again and it is as bad still,does anyone have any suggestions,ideas,requests for more info.
I told my boss that this server would be a big help and centralising storage was a bonus for me also but this is causing real headaches and staff are giving me hassles about it ( i cant say i blame them to be honest)
If i have left out any information thats glaringly obvious then please let me know
The teamed nic's and trunk completely happy, i've had some issues with teaming and older drivers and switch firmware etc before which can cause issues.
Sounds a lot like DNS issues to me, have you made sure that your DNS on the network interfaces are pointed to an AD machine with DNS?
This may be something that you've already looked at, but what messages are you getting in Event Viewer? On the subject of teamed Nic's , I've had issues with these in 2008, they never worked as they should, so I put the machine back onto just the one. Your's may not be the same issue though I realise that.
Another thought, should the path have another \ after maths to open in that folder?
Both of the above are the likely candidates.
Unless this is correct everything else sucks!
But teaming NIC's is not always as straight forward as it seems.
Do you have STP enabled on your switches?
STP, or Spanning Tree Protocol, is designed to eliminate switching loops by making sure each switch has only one path to every other switch. LCAP, or Link Aggregation Control Protocol, is designed to create redundant aggregate connections between switches and servers.
These are mutually exclusive goals.
Each switch sends an STP announcement on all ports. clients ignore the STP packet, where as other switches count the various packets and determine if there are 2 paths to the same switch via any ports. if there is a loop, the switch will disable one of these ports* to prevent packets being sent in an infinite loop.
If you've enabled STP on a LACP link, one of the ports will be Blocked, as it is a redundant connection.
You will want to disable STP for the ports involved in the LCAP link.
I often find servers with two NIC's that have been connected to switches that don't even support LAG or LCAP!
If your switches are not configured correctly with LAG/Port Trunking/LCAP the Teaming software may have automatically configured them in Failover mode only and whilst they won't cripple the network too badly you may not actually be getting the full 2GB instead a jabbing mess of ARP requests to slow your switch to a snails pace....
This will be of no help what no ever but may be some comfort. I have a windows 2003 domain and I sometimes get the same thing with the my documents folder when I redirect my documents with group policy, its rare but I normally find its when the network is being hammered.
It always maps to the server but sometimes maps to the folder below the one I need. I dont think its dns as the the mapping is finding the machine from dns ok.
I have moved the home folder to a new more powerful server and it is still doing the same. The new server has 1 gig nic cards so I dont think its a bottle neck with that.
I have replaced the main switch that all the servers plug into and that a gig fiber switch now.
I dont have 2 nic cards enabled on the machine so its not that and I dont have 2 network wires plugged into the machine either so its not creating a loop.
I have had to put a line in all the users under users and computers so that it maps the h drive to persons area and that always works.
If you find a answer can you let me know as I would love to fix this one.
Hi and thanks for your replies we originally set a connect up to h: in the AD then in the script we had net use h: /home, i was advised to either use the script or the (AD)connect , i now have started on some users to use the %username% variable which works for all our curriculum users,the problems seem to affect our admin users more .
Our support contractors are investigating more this afternoon remotely and i am hoping someone is coming in tomorrow to delve a bit deeper,i shall let you know hopefully what the problem was/is :)