+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, DHCP + RRAS Internet Connection Sharing in Technical; Hi Guys, So, I've recently been trying to configure DHCP on Server 2008 Box and, for the moment, it seems ...
    Thank Post

Angry DHCP + RRAS Internet Connection Sharing

Hi Guys,

So, I've recently been trying to configure DHCP on Server 2008 Box and, for the moment, it seems to running all good, it's managing to find the DHCP server and the clients are all being dished out with IP's and relevant network information... However, what I'm trying to do is to share internet through the Server... As the server has two (2) NICS on-board I thought all that was required was to have one cable running from the first NIC into the modem/router and a cable running from the second NIC back into the switch, and then just configuring the gateway on the clients to point to the first NIC... However, the only machine that is getting an internet connection is the server.

Help would be very much appreciated - If anyone has full instructions on how to do this, I will love you forever! Because this has been bugging me for the last week and a half!

- I have read on Google from various sites that you are required to run a NAT server through RRAS - Is this correct?

Thanks,
    James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It all depends on your setup, if the internet modem is a full router then it may be easier to just connect it to the network and change the default gateway dished out by DHCP to the modems IP address. In this configuration you'll need to turn off DHCP on the modem/router and its internal ip must be on the same subnet as the rest of your network.

You could keep your existing setup and add some routing rules into both the server and the modem so the server knows how to deal with the traffic.

If the modem is a direct connect one that can only handle one IP you will need to use RRAS to institute NAT and routing.

If you outline which way you want to go and your reasoning we can suggest the best solution.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 14th April 2012 at 07:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Ok...

How would you go about instigating NAT and routing then?

Thanks,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread