+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Windows Server Backup VHD to Virtual Machine, possible? in Technical; Hi All, Currently I'm backing up a small server using Windows Server Backup, it creates a VHD for each partition ...

Thank Post

Windows Server Backup VHD to Virtual Machine, possible?

Hi All,

Currently I'm backing up a small server using Windows Server Backup, it creates a VHD for each partition and I can mount each one in Windows 7 Pro if I need to restore a file, happy days

I'm wondering if I can use those VHD's to create a Virtual Machine of the server running on a Windows 7 Pro host? So far I've tried to create a virtual machine, adding each VHD as a hard disk in VirtualPC settings but I keep getting "Insert suitable media" messages

Any help gratefully received

Thank Post
    Have a google for sysinternals free tool called disk2vhd. Used it many times and works brilliantly

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryTech View Post
    Hi All,

Currently I'm backing up a small server using Windows Server Backup, it creates a VHD for each partition and I can mount each one in Windows 7 Pro if I need to restore a file, happy days

I'm wondering if I can use those VHD's to create a Virtual Machine of the server running on a Windows 7 Pro host? So far I've tried to create a virtual machine, adding each VHD as a hard disk in VirtualPC settings but I keep getting "Insert suitable media" messages

Any help gratefully received
    I have had similar thoughts, but whether it is possible to recover a backup of a server backup taken using wsbackup.exe into a Hyper-V host. I am guessing probably not, due to if anything, "incompatible hardware" (i.e. the difference between the hardware on the physical server where the OS was first installed and the virtual hardware created by Hyper-V/VirtualPC).

However, if you have done a Bare Metal backup (or even a System State backup) then it would be interesting to see if you can recover the backup into a new VM using the standard BMR recovery procedure.

I.e.

1. Create a new VM of similar spec (in Hyper-V or VirtualPC - not used VirtualPC before)
    2. Boot to the Win 2008 R2 CD (using a virtual DVD drive)
    3. Choose the option to perform a BMR and point it to the wsbackup .VHD file

For a BMR recovery, the hardware doesn't have to be identical, only similar.

If this works it could be really useful for Disaster Recovery (e.g. in the case of a hardware failure of a physical server recovery into spare capacity on a Hyper-V host).

Regards,

Bruce.
    Last edited by Bruce123; 10th April 2012 at 08:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deano View Post
    Have a google for sysinternals free tool called disk2vhd. Used it many times and works brilliantly
    That's not quite what the OP was asking for though but thanks.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post

If this works it could be really useful for Disaster Recovery (e.g. in the case of a hardware failure of a physical server recovery into spare capacity on a Hyper-V host).

Bruce.
    That's what I was thinking A 20 minute restore to a VM should the server suffer a fault where a normal restore can't be done (Fire, Theft, PSU or HDD failure which requires an OEM part on backorder)

I did make a VM and got it to boot the S2k8 DVD but stopped at the point where it was looking for a backup (It was late!) so If I can get the VM to see the hdd with the backup on then hopefully it'll boot!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,771 Posts
    I have had similar thoughts, but whether it is possible to recover a backup of a server backup taken using wsbackup.exe into a Hyper-V host. I am guessing probably not, due to if anything, "incompatible hardware"
    You may want to read the following article...

Booting a Windows Server Backup VHD in Hyper-V Catapult Systems

Also worth mentioning is that Hyper-V in Windows 8 now has the ability to import VMs that haven't been exported previously so could potentially be used in a DR scenario...

Windows Server 8 Beta allows to import a VM from plain files Hyper-V notes from the field
    Last edited by Arthur; 10th April 2012 at 09:46 PM.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

Bruce123 (11th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    You may want to read the following article...

Booting a Windows Server Backup VHD in Hyper-V Catapult Systems

Also worth mentioning is that Hyper-V in Windows 8 now has the ability to import VMs that haven't been exported previously so could potentially be used in a DR scenario...

Windows Server 8 Beta allows to import a VM from plain files Hyper-V notes from the field

Thanks Arthur, that's actually really useful to know.

Bruce.

Thank Post

64-bit OS support in Virtual PC

I have had similar thoughts, but whether it is possible to recover a backup of a server backup taken using wsbackup.exe into a Hyper-V host. I am guessing probably not, due to if anything, "incompatible hardware" (i.e. the difference between the hardware on the physical server where the OS was first installed and the virtual hardware created by Hyper-V/VirtualPC).

I.e.

1. Create a new VM of similar spec (in Hyper-V or VirtualPC - not used VirtualPC before)
    I know the thread is old but just for the sake of anyone else searching for this information, I just thought it'd be useful to mention Virtual PC doesn't support 64-bit VMs so this wouldn't work in any case for Windows Server 2008 R2 or other 64-bit servers.

Regards

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    You can use the VMWare standalone converter to convert VHD files and then create a VM pointing at the converted disk files?

Thank Post
    I export my Virtual servers to another server for DR works like a dream if ever I loose the main server I will back up and running in 5-10mins.

Next task is to workout how to automate this with powershell but unfortunately I don't have the time to do this at the moment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread