+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Two NICs - Different Networks in Technical; Hi Guys & Gals, I have a server 2008 machine with 2 NICs. When i connect to our domain with ...
    Thank Post

Two NICs - Different Networks

Hi Guys & Gals,

I have a server 2008 machine with 2 NICs. When i connect to our domain with both NICs set with our IP settings, all is well. However, i want to use this server as a web server and have one NIC configured and connected to our domain and the other configured and connected to the CLEO network (we have a web gateway setup).

My issue is... when i configure the NICs (in exactly the same way as another web server on 2003) i cannot connect to it. If i uplug/disable the CLEO connection, i can then access it again. I have configured this on numerous server 2003 machines and it has worked fine.

• Does server 2008 have inbuilt NIC pooling that is getting confused because of different IP settings? Can i disable it?
    • Is there something else i am missing?

The server is a SuperServer 6024H-82R.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,723 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By the way if someone compromises security on that webserver your internal school network is at risk. I highly recommend you don’t have the second NIC in your LAN

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    By the way if someone compromises security on that webserver your internal school network is at risk. I highly recommend you don’t have the second NIC in your LAN
    Fear not. This is through a web gateway provided by county. Basically a redirect through county. All our internal domain requires authentication to do anything.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Are you setting two gateways?

You need to only setup the external Nic with a DG and the internal network is fine.

Are you using Vlans internally?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The correct way to do this is put the webserver in a separate DMZ VLAN which is controlled by the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by phughes View Post
    Fear not. This is through a web gateway provided by county. Basically a redirect through county. All our internal domain requires authentication to do anything.
    That isn't really going to help, as @FN-GM points out if the web server is compromised they still have access to the internal LAN whether or not you have domain authentication.

What firewall do you use?

Thank Post
    @CyberNerd We're currently using a smoothwall server. But we have bought a CISCO ASA 5505, not managed to get round to setting it up yet.
    @glennda No VLANS, tried all different configurations with DG.

This server has dual LAN, could it be a server config that uses both ports that i need to turn off? Works perfectly fine with 2s IP on one network, just not one internal and one external.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Set the default gateway on the external card and leave the internal card without one. It should then work fine as the machine will be able to communicate with all clients locally on the same subnet without requiring any routes set.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phughes View Post
    @CyberNerd We're currently using a smoothwall server. But we have bought a CISCO ASA 5505, not managed to get round to setting it up yet.
    Cisco ASA is really good kit. We have one here. Set it up and use a VLAN for the DMZ. Configure the DMZ so that only allowed traffic can flow back into your internal network.

Thank Post
    @glennda I tried that one, but as soon as i plug into the external my remote desktop session ends and i can no longer connect / communicate from internal.
    @CyberNerd I will one day! I need to get port forwarding working too, but i cant do this while school is live and our holidays are completely booked up with work. School are also cutting our staff down to 2 and adding primary schools to support (you know how it is)

Thank Post
    Right, sorted it!

Turns out that when adding remote desktop users and it says "DOMAIN\administrator already has access", this is only the case up until you plug into a public network. Then you have to add domian admin to the group otherwise no user can from the domain can remote to the server.

By adding this user this apparently meant that request was granted by Windows Firewall as the request was being blocked by one of the public profile inbound rules.

Thats a new one
    Last edited by phughes; 27th March 2012 at 11:02 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread