+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, logon issue in Technical; Hi Guys!! A very random one here, I have a CCTV server running Server 2008 standard, all of a sudden ...

Thank Post

logon issue

Hi Guys!!

A very random one here,

I have a CCTV server running Server 2008 standard, all of a sudden I am unable to log onto the server, I am getting "the users passwod must be hanged before logging on for the first time" although I have lgged onto this server multiple times, so when pressing ok, I am prompted for the old password followed by a new password then to confirm, once doing this I am basicaly just given "Access is denied"

I am rather stuck!!!!

TheLibrarian
    Is this a domain user that can't log in?

Thank Post
    Its just a local user, as the server is just used for CCTv

TheLibrarian
    I think you may be able to remote manage the server without being forced to change the password.

Code:
    compmgmt.msc /computer=[servername]
    You will likely find that the user account you are using has been set so that the password can't be changed but the password is allowed to expire.
    Last edited by TheLibrarian; 9th March 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Is the code you provided just a run commant as I have tried and not getting anywhere, is ther eanyway I can break the password use some kind of passwor

TheLibrarian
    That should open the computer management MSC and attempt to connect to the server name you supply.

It is possible to break the password, in instances such as this I use O&O BlueCon 9: The Swiss Army knife for administrators, the recovery console, or Microsoft DaRT.

Thank Post
    ok so I have got ontot he computer management ofthe server, however Local Users and Groups has a red cross next to it, when selecting I am given "unable to access COMPUTER NAME. The error was: Access is denied

TheLibrarian
    In a command shell try:
    Code:
    net use \\[servername] /user:[servername]\[username]
    It should request the password, hopefully this will not attempt to force a password change.

Then try to connect the computer management MSC to the server if you manage to connect using the command above.

If this fails you will be looking at the recovery console etc.

Thank Post
    I am getting the users password must be changed before logging on for the first time, does this look like I need to do a recover, if so, I have not done this before anychance you could provide me with the steps?

Would this wipe the server & settings?

TheLibrarian
    It's a case of rebooting the server, interrupting the normal boot (F8 I think) and choosing the recovery console option (if I recall correctly).

Beyond that I don't recall much of what the recovery console will require because I have not used it in such a long time; I use the O&O tools and DaRT I mentioned and to be quite frank they are so much better and easier to use I've not had to resort to the recovery console in years.

Oh, I forgot to add - the recover console should not destroy server settings if used correctly; it can be used incorrectly and cause a lot of damage to a server operating system.
    Last edited by TheLibrarian; 9th March 2012 at 11:23 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread