+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Users My Documents folder in Technical; When I need to create a new user, I go into AD and create them there and also create a ...

Thank Post

Users My Documents folder

When I need to create a new user, I go into AD and create them there and also create a mailbox for them on the mail server. If I edit the entry in AD, I add a profile but then I'm struggling with mapping their drive to a folder for their My Documents. I presumed this would automatically be created but it isn't. All of the existing folder are "username" but are accessed when typing their location with "username$". I can create a folder, share it to the user and they can access it fine through My Documents. But how do I make it a $ hidden folder?

Thank Post
    Are you struggling to redirect the My Documents folder to the Home Drive? I may have mis-read, but it sounds like you've contradicted yourself...

Sounds like you just need to redirect the Documents folder to their Home Drive...

GPO - User Configuration - Policies - Windows Settings - Folder Redirection - Documents - Basic: Root Path H: (or whatever drive letter you assign to their homedrives... ours are \\server\share$\yearxx\%username%)

Apologies if that's not what you meant...

Thank Post
    Im not sure you can without creating a script.. You could try using this program

Mikey Magic's Web Site - Active User Manager - We use it for bulk start of year imports but it does individuals too.

Or you can do what we do and follow this format

\\server1\Year7$\%USERNAME%

That way you only need to create a hidden share for each year and put all your students in it.
    I also find that way makes it easier to back them up & delete them when they leave.

Thank Post
    I have downloaded and used that Active User Manager and I have created an test account with it. However, it hasn't generated the folder to be used as the users home directory.

Thank Post
    You need to edit the defaults, cant remeber exactly how to do it off the top of my head i think you just right click the OU from withing the program select propeties and then edit user defaults. Its not too hard and it explains it well in the manual.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kineas View Post
    I have downloaded and used that Active User Manager and I have created an test account with it. However, it hasn't generated the folder to be used as the users home directory.

Thank Post
    Ok, I've got it to create a folder and it's working perfectly, except that the user can't seem to access the folder. Keep getting Z:\ is not accessible. Acces is denied.

Thank Post
    What Server OS are you using?

You should be able to select all the users - right click - properties - profile - set the Home Drives for all, then assuming the main folder containing the User's Home Drive folder exists...

e.g. to set the homedrive "\\server\users$\YearXX\%username%" then "\\server\users$\YearXX\" must already exist

Thank Post
    You can also set default permissions for it, at the same time using the same properties dialogue. Give creator/owner read/write permissions, administrators full access and anyone else you think may need access to those folders. ie yopurself or teachers etc.

Thank Post
    Out of interest why do you use home folders set on the user fields rather than My Documents redirection?

I do it the other way around for admin staff, redirect all documents to \\server\usershare via GPO then just add an extra script to map a drive if they prefer to work that way

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Out of interest why do you use home folders set on the user fields rather than My Documents redirection?
    We set all pupils Home Drives to the U Drive, then redirect the Documents folder to U:\

Never had any problems doing it that way, so never thought about doing it any differently :)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread