+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Client side extension drive map - Sims drive fails in Technical; I've got several drive maps (which in a moment you might ask why so many) in one GPo and 1 ...

Thank Post

Client side extension drive map - Sims drive fails

I've got several drive maps (which in a moment you might ask why so many) in one GPo and 1 being for Sims.

The drive maps seems to work fine but sims Fails to autenticate despite this not being a problem with a lecacy scrpt or manual mappings.

and on the Client

It makes no difference if the username is server2k3\ or sims2006.local\

the DNS server doesnt have a record for this machine but as a said, manual mappings work fine.
    Sims is on a Server in the office and I dont administer that system but have basic level admin access.

could this have somthing to do with trusts ? any other thoughts, have I missed somthing obvious?

Thanks

Bryan

ps. we have so many drive maps because previous admins have set it up that way and I'm in the process of cleaning up user shares and eventually getting rid of 2 or 3 of them so it's more consolidated and easier to find stuff.
    Last edited by RageRiot; 11th October 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    I have seen this authentication problem with shortcuts in redirected start menus and found it been a missing target or it can't find the target (a red hearing error message).

Not sure if it helps but worth checking.

Thank Post
    Well in a few tests I've had an error pop up on one of the xp clients that the desktop redirection failed then a second later the desktop loads up with all the icons expected from the redirection GPo

Thank Post
    Nothing ?

Well I've had a little playaround and got it working by using the domain name in th account field
    eg sims2006\admin

now this works.. once. after a reboot the drive doesnt reconnect. if I was to disconnect the drive log off and log back in again the drive doesnt reconnect but if I log off and log back in for a 2nd time the drive gets remapped. then the cylcle.. I log off and on and the drive is disconnected Every time

Recap, Drive Maps once and never again if it has been mapped once before, if removed/discnnected drive remaps but only after 1 login before hand next log in drive maps but futher logins it fails to map forever.

I really need to sort this because it's causing some of the staff to have to complete registers on paper in turn more work for office.

Thanks in advanced

Thank Post
    Can I ask what you are using this drive map for? Is it the sims setups directory? if so try changing the sims.ini and connect.ini files to point directly to the server rather than the redirect.

Thank Post
    check in the group policies computer-admin templates-system-logon-always wait for the network at starup and logon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    Can I ask what you are using this drive map for? Is it the sims setups directory? if so try changing the sims.ini and connect.ini files to point directly to the server rather than the redirect.
    I dont follow. as per the applications initial setup sims looks for Drive R: which is the drive map this school uses for the sims server. the office of course use S: the default. I dont see how the .ini iradicate the need for a drive map.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    check in the group policies computer-admin templates-system-logon-always wait for the network at starup and logon
    I did wonder if this would help, the only problem is I've noticed our network always seems slow to negotiate. It's somthing I intend looking into but dont know where to start.
    if I was to enable this I beleive it will cause the machines to take a bit longer and possibly cause more support querries

I'll give it a go on monday maybe. I'm out of time now. but on a side note, does it really seems as if the problem is related to slow negotiation? because the other drive maps which are on the same domain work without fail and as stated in my last post the problem shows up after network negotiation.

Bryan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RageRiot View Post
    I dont follow. as per the applications initial setup sims looks for Drive R: which is the drive map this school uses for the sims server. the office of course use S: the default. I dont see how the .ini iradicate the need for a drivee.
    It is possible to change the sims.ini to point to the unc rather than the map

ie R:\sims\setups = \\servername\sharename\sims\setups

This does solve problems with drive mappings but you need to remember that you have done it if you change the name of the server.

9. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

cromertech (18th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    If it works using scripts, then it could be GPO related problem. Instead of 'Update' for the Action column, change all drive mappings to 'Replace'. I had better success with this, even if the drive doesn't exist. Replace appears to work better than the Update setting in my experience.

Thank Post
    it didnt work properly using scripts, its the reason why I'm tryin client side extensions. I think the issue is elsewhere.

since all my drive maps work flawlessly EXCEPT Sims, it's clearly a problem with authentication or a interruption in authentication. Where would I go to get a detailed log of what is going wrong, what error is flagging up. standard event logs offer no help and are usually generic errors.

recap. 2 staff machines are having the problem and I've shown them how to authenticate the drive map them selfs by double clicking the drive to bring up the login window while I sort it.

thanks for your input on doing away with drive mapping for Sims but I'm going to stick with them for now while it's mostly working. I'd rather not give my self unnecessary work since I work alone.

Thank Post
    what is the name of the domain that the sims server is part of?

Thank Post
    sims2006

Thank Post
    is the workstation you are trying to map drives on part of the same domain or a trusted domain?

Thank Post
    So I assume that you have a user created on that domain called"admin"

have you tried to mapp using sims2006\admin

Equally you might need to check both the share permissions and the security permissions on that drive

Thank Post
    no it's a separate domain. our setup is the ciriculum domain with 2 x 2008 servers and the office domain with 1 x
    2003 server. the LA manage/maintain the office Server and workstations but I help with some support queries but have limited admin access.

I have full access to the the curriculum domain

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast