+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, Tip To Delete those pesky files that windows refuses to delete filename too long ect in Technical; while getting rid of our old userdata(afterbackup) i had some pesky files that windows said the filename was too long ...
    Thank Post

Tip To Delete those pesky files that windows refuses to delete filename too long ect

while getting rid of our old userdata(afterbackup) i had some pesky files that windows said the filename was too long i could mess round with dos to do it but if you use 7zip you can delete them through the gui.

hust hold down shift and click the delete button on the file or folder

I was shocked that it worked.

just thought someone might be having the same issues

2. 6 Thanks to round2it:

DrCheese (19th September 2011), Great_Scott (19th May 2014), januttall (19th September 2011), laserblazer (19th September 2011), speckytecky (3rd September 2014), tech_guy (8th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we had this issue when deleting the students accounts they went A-Z+0-50+A-Z again several times it got to the point you couldn't see in the files never mind delete them cant remeber how we got rid in the end but thanks i will bare this in mind.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tend to go through the folder chain a half dozen levels, cut the next folder, and paste it back in the root of the homedir, to shorten the chain. Renaming stupidly named folders (normally flash content caches) to a single character normally helps as well, if it will let you.

Thank Post
    It enrages me that Windows allows files like this to be created in the first place! It's stupid that it's still an issue in Windows 7.

Thanks for the tip :P

Thank Post
    your welcome its nice to give something back to the forum rather than (i need help)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    while getting rid of our old userdata(afterbackup) i had some pesky files that windows said the filename was too long i could mess round with dos to do it but if you use 7zip you can delete them through the gui.

hust hold down shift and click the delete button on the file or folder

I was shocked that it worked.

just thought someone might be having the same issues
    I registered just so I can say "THANK YOU" to round2it, I have been fighting issues with deleting files on my Windows 2008 Server for MONTHS !!!! I have tried all sorts of programs and tricks and nothing would work to delete folders. It would say it could not find the folder or delete the folder, usually if I deleted everything around it until I just have the problem folder or two in the chain then wait 30-60 minutes it would let me delete the folder, it was causing huge pains regarding updating hosted websites.

Holding Shift then right clicking the folder and choosing delete got rid of it instantly..... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Thanks,

Bryan

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 2,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    It's stupid that it's still an issue in Windows 7.
    That's the price we have to pay for backwards compatibility!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bryweb View Post
    I registered just so I can say "THANK YOU" to round2it, I have been fighting issues with deleting files on my Windows 2008 Server for MONTHS !!!! I have tried all sorts of programs and tricks and nothing would work to delete folders. It would say it could not find the folder or delete the folder, usually if I deleted everything around it until I just have the problem folder or two in the chain then wait 30-60 minutes it would let me delete the folder, it was causing huge pains regarding updating hosted websites.

Holding Shift then right clicking the folder and choosing delete got rid of it instantly..... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Thanks,

Bryan

Your Welcome, Edugeek is the best place to get help

Thank Post
    just dragging and deleting sometimes won't get the issue fixed. i used to have that problem before and i did just that and it won't work! so what i did was use the Long Path Tool's free trial and it did work! after that I used the paid version and was using it since then ♥ here's the link Path Too Long | Filename too long | Filename is too long | Path too long utility you might wanna try as well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use an utility called 'unlocker' - UNLOCKER 1.9.1 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB - deals with other problems as well when deleting folders, usually when I'm clearing out year groups from the server.

Pete

Thank Post
    You can use CMD to delete files with too long names:

1. Shift-right-click the folder for "open command window here"
    2. In CMD type dir /x to give you the DOS short names (ie: Longfi~1.doc)
    3. Del the file using it's short name

13. 2 Thanks to detjo:

dayzd (3rd September 2014), mats (5th September 2013)

Thank Post
    I have downloaded Long Path Tool and it helpedme a lot.

Thank Post
    Tuneup Shredder

Thank Post
    Have you ever thought of using the Long Path Tool? It would be very helpful for this problem. Check it.

Thank Post
    I used to have this with some files on a backup drive I cleared down every other day.

Cannot delete "insert folder name here": Access is denied.

This was a SHIFT+DELETE operation and there were a few files and folders in here with similar issues.

Relating to a folder, many layers deep.

G:\School Backups\staffdata$ 2013-02-27 07;06;55\USERNAME\ITW FILES\IWB Resources\Maths Resources\IWB files from Primary Framework and NWN websites\Excel files with guidance notes\Addition and subtraction\add_subtract_families\add_subtract_fam ilies

Tried a normal delete (recycle bin). Deleted everything around it and ended up with this, which explains the problem...

The folder "XXXX" contains items whose name is too long for the Recycle Bin.

Do you want to permanently delete it?

Clicking yes got.... Access Denied lol... (The lol wasn't actually there, but I'm sure I could hear it laughing at me!).

The files in here were called:

ADDITI~2.DOC
    ADDITI~6.DOC

No right-click option to rename or delete!

DOS prompt delete 'couldn't find the file specified'... and I didn't want to mess around with all those path names every day.

In the end and in desperation I renamed the folder they were sitting in and.... deleted the folder and the undeletable files in it, with one click!

Go figure (YMMV).

Still couldn't get it to buzz through the "XXXX.pdf is a read only file are you sure you want to delete it?" or "Thumbs.db is a system file are you sure you want to delete it" though...

Kol

Just edited to mention I had done a LOT of searching through NTFS / folder permissions and read only properties and attributes first too! So try just renaming the folder they are sitting in and delete that folder.
    Last edited by Koldov; 8th March 2013 at 03:54 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast