+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 Thread, DC screwed up after migration! HELP in Technical; Hi all, HELP! We've migrated 2 DCs over to 2008R2, the first went over no problem after following a books ...

Thank Post

DC screwed up after migration! HELP

Hi all,

HELP! We've migrated 2 DCs over to 2008R2, the first went over no problem after following a books recommendations, the second seemd to go over fine, until we realised that we couldn't see the shares from a remote PC. Basically the book said to DCpromo, change names and IPs of old and new servers, this worked on the first server and had no reason to doubt the book. However we appear to have found out the hard way that you shouldn't rename a DC after DCPROMO. We cannot change the name back (netlogon won't start), I can't dcpromo it to demote it, it's basically a box stuck off the network with a load of stuff on it. In the AD Sites and services the default-first-name-site list shows the DC withi it's old name. It's basically screwed at present, has anyone any ideas about how to recover from this?

Cheers

manick

Thank Post
    have you got a full backup prior to dcpromo

Thank Post
    Not as such, only prior to the 2 migrations (silly really but no use crying over spilt milk). So I've got to recover from the stage I'm at now. Nothing is majorly screwed at the moment, I'm just missing one DNS server and a DHCP server, no FSMO roles are on that DC and the second DC is coping at the moment (it handles half of the DHCP range).

manick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Kill the bad DC, wipe it, rebuild it, do a metadata cleanup to remove all references to it from AD then put it back on the domain and dcpromo it again.

It's only a DC, and any attempt to recover bits and pieces of it risk damaging AD.

Thank Post
    Pretty much what we did in the end, miraculously though the following day (before we did all of that) the server allowed us to rename it in order that we could DCpromo it to demote it, we still had to metadata cleanup, but we are back to a (almost) fully working domain now, a new thread is being started about start menus not redirecting!

Cheers

Nick

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread