+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 Thread, KMS Activation in Technical; Originally Posted by RabbieBurns Yep. When I do a new install from my VL media, as soon as it reboots ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Yep. When I do a new install from my VL media, as soon as it reboots after initial install, it is activated.
    If you have Pro (because you don't have a Volume agreement) or are going MAK for testing first you can make them point back to KMS by changing the keys to these KMS Client Setup Keys

The system will then skulk around DNS, find the KMS server and activate via that just like Enterprise does by default.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 20th July 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    So let me get this straight - I install Windows 7 Pro using the default KMS key: FJ82H-XT6CR-J8D7P-XQJJ2-GPDD4 or do I install Windows 7 with no serial?

I then setup KMS on 2008 R2 and I specify a 2008 R2 KMS key. This will then activate Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

What's the procedure for Office 2010? I install the Office KMS app, then specify the Office KMS key. Do I enter a serial number for Office on the workstation or not?

A step by step guide would be useful Synack

Thank Post
    You install windows 7 with no key. Then setup enter your 2008r2 KMS key in windows server 2008 r2 "just click change key" It will then say that you have entered a KMS key do you want to continue. Remember that the KMS key can be activated a max of 6 times.
    When your windows 7 or 2008 clients look for activation they use your local DNS service record to find your local KMs server, thats it

Office 2010 install the app and it will ask you to enter the 2010 kms key, thats it

4. Thanks to ict_support from:

Michael (20th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As above, and if you have a volume agreement you should be using enterprise anyway, its better.

I mostly put that bit in for those doing testing with MAK, that way they can install them with MAK keys and then when they have enough and the KMS server setup they can change the MAK keys on the clients to the ones from the post above which will point them at the KMS server.

The clients are just KMS clients and by default have the KMS client keys in them when you install them with 'no key'. They then spend the next 30 days searching for a KMS server to activate against.

You should use your KMS server key from MVLS on the server which sets it up as a KMS server and all the clients will just look to it by default. Same deal with Office, the default setting is KMS so as long as you set up the Office KMS key on a server they will all just find it and activate when they are opened up for the first time.

When it's all up and running it does make things really easy as everything just registers itself.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Michael (20th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Thanks chaps

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I don't know the answer to this yet. I hope to find out during the Summer break [by experimentation?]
    KMS keys are not activation keys as you usually understand them, they are not the keys used to activate your servers and clients (the clients use a generic key which tells them to activate via KMS), they are the keys to activate the KMS server itself.

When you set up a KMS server you use the Windows 2008 R2 KMS key to create the KMS server. This key will then activate Windows 2008 R2 servers AND Windows 7 Clients. You do not and indeed cannot add the Windows 7 KMS key to the KMS server. The Windows 7 KMS key is for running a KMS server ON Windows 7 NOT for licensing Windows 7 clients as I said above.

Office 2010 KMS requires you download and install the Microsoft Office 2010 KMS Host License Pack onto your existing KMS server, you specify your Office 2010 KMS key during the install and the Office clients will find it automatically.

And yes, KMS activated clients do need to check back periodically to verify their licence and the annoying thing about this is if they fail to activate they immediately go into "this copy of windows/office is not genuine" mode.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right, I've done some more research, and as is typical for Microsoft licensing, this has left me more confused than ever.

My new servers are going in from next week - two physical servers for the virtual infrastructure and another physical server to be the primary DC. Apparently Win2k8 requires 5 physical hosts for KMS activation, so I have to use the MAK key to install them. In that case, then, how do I set up a KMS server? Bearing in mind I want it as a virtual server, would I just set up one of the physical hosts with the KMS key? Would that then set that installation to be the KMS server, or can I delegate it to one of the virtual hosts inside that physical server? Would I set everything up with the data center MAK key and then change the key on one of the virtual hosts? (Although as I understand it, VMs are licensed by the physical host, and will share its key).

Nothing is ever simple with Microsoft...!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got a 2k8 r2 Enterprise server with 4 VMs on it using KMS and it seems to work fine.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

sonofsanta (25th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I've got a 2k8 r2 Enterprise server with 4 VMs on it using KMS and it seems to work fine.
    So install one of the physical hosts with the KMS key and then one of the VMs picks up the role? What happens in a failover situation?

(sorry for the hassle, the rest of the Internet is remarkably unhelpful on the specifics of this thing)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    So install one of the physical hosts with the KMS key and then one of the VMs picks up the role? What happens in a failover situation?

(sorry for the hassle, the rest of the Internet is remarkably unhelpful on the specifics of this thing)
    I installed the whole lot under the grace period then just activated my PDC emulator (a VM) with the KMS key. Made sure the firewall was letting the request through and then they all happily activated.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I installed the whole lot under the grace period then just activated my PDC emulator (a VM) with the KMS key. Made sure the firewall was letting the request through and then they all happily activated.
    I thought KMS on Win2k8 needed 5 physical machines as a minimum? As I'll only have 3 physical, albeit half a dozen virtual

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I thought KMS on Win2k8 needed 5 physical machines as a minimum? As I'll only have 3 physical, albeit half a dozen virtual
    In practice that does not seem to be the case so you should be fine.

17. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In practice that does not seem to be the case so you should be fine.
    Brilliant - I shall give it a go then. I'd give you rep if I was allowed but I'm not, so multiple thanks will have to suffice for now...!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 881 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am trying to get my KMS keys to work [Windows 7 Pro: SP1: 64 Bit and Office 2010 Pro Plus: 32 Bit]

All I can get to work at the moment is Windows 7 MAK keys. This thread seems to have some promising suggestions that I will try tomorrow.

However it bothers me at the moment that I have Office KMS keys that are rejected by my KMS server. How long is this going to sort? I only have two more weeks [less today and Bank Holiday Monday!]

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,289 Times in 881 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, test with MAK then when you have a fair few setup you can point them at your KMS and boost your count up to the required value quickly.

KMS is really small and you can put it on any server, if you only have a Windows 7 KMS key you can even use it on a Windows 7 box and use that to run KMS but if you have 2K8 then it is better just to install the higher level key and centralise it.
    Can you point me to a location where I can download whatever I need to to install KMS server on a Windows Server 2008 64 Bit server?

I have been playing with Volume Activation Management Tool and Key Management Service but I am having real trouble getting anything but MAK keys to activate my products.

To say I am confused at the moment would be an understatement. I have enough stations running Windows 7 Pro: 64 Bit and Office 2010 Pro Plus to exceed any required threshold. What I need now is to get licencing setup before the start of term. I expect I am making a silly mistake somewhere but I can't see it. At the moment I seem t have exhausted all of my options.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast